The 2018 winners of the Vice-Chancellor’s Awards for Research Excellence were announced at an awards dinner on Wednesday 24 October.
Congratulations to the winners and finalists in each category:
Chancellor’s Medal for Exceptional Research
Honouring the very best research achievement at UTS by an individual researcher.
Congratulations to award winner, Professor Tuan Nguyen, Faculty of Engineering and IT
Highly commended: Professor Cynthia Whitchurch, Faculty of Science
Finalist: Distinguished Professor Larissa Behrendt, Jumbunna Institute for Indigenous Education and Research
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor’s (Research) Medal for Research Impact
For an individual researcher whose research has achieved considerable impact outside the academic community.
Congratulations to award winner Associate Professor Thalia Anthony, Faculty of Law
Associate Professor Danielle Logue, UTS Business School
Associate Professor Kate Barclay, Faculty of Arts and Social Science
Distinguished Professor Dikai Liu, Faculty of Engineering and IT
Distinguished Professor Larissa Behrendt, Jumbunna Institute for Indigenous Education and Research
UTS Medal for Research and Teaching Integration
Recognising researcher(s) for the successful integration of research and teaching and learning.
Congratulations to award winner, , Faculty of Engineering and IT.
Sarath was the only nominee who was shortlisted for the award.
Early Career Research Excellence
For outstanding research conducted by an early career researcher.
There were two joint winners in this category. Congratulations to:
- Dr Nural Cokcetin, Faculty of Science, was honoured for her exploration of the medicinal properties of honey
- Dr Alexander Solntsev, Faculty of Science, was recognised for his work in developing the future security of private information and sensitive data.
- Dr Jane Hunter, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Dr Jesse Stein, Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building
- Dr Jiajia Zhou, Faculty of Science
- Dr Emma Camp, Faculty of Science
For an outstanding contribution or initiative in support services that has boosted research capacity at either faculty or UTS level.
Congratulations to Eddy Dharmadji from the Graduate School of Health.
- Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building, Research Support Office – Bronwyn Clark-Coolee , Taksil Dias , Ann Hobson
- Faculty of Health Research Management Team - Karen Gomez , Priya Nair , Rebekah Tatian , Christopher Fernandes , Julia McConnochie , Madelyn Lines
Research Excellence through Collaboration
For a UTS researcher, or team of UTS researchers, who have developed and sustained a research partnership and delivered outcomes.
Congratulations to UTS Responsive Passenger Information Systems Research Team led by Dr Michelle Zeibots, Institute for Sustainable Futures
The team were recognised for their transdisciplinary approach to solving the congestion of Sydney’s rail network.
- Associate Professors Carmel Foley and Deborah Edwards, UTS Business School
- Professor Hokyong Shon, Faculty of Engineering and IT
- Professors Igor Aharonovich and Milos Toth, Faculty of Science
Researcher Development (including Supervision)
Recognising excellence in developing researchers including higher degree supervision.
Congratulations to award winner Professor Peter Ralph, Faculty of Science
Associate Professor Angela Dawson, Faculty of Health
- Distinguished Professor Peter McNeil, Faculty of Design, Architecture an Building
- Associate Professor Guandong Xu, Faculty of Engineering and IT
Learn more about each of the award categories.
Pictured: some of the 2018 research award trophies, designed by Professor Jennifer Loy, School of Design. Photo: Encapture Photography.