UTS:IPPG is an active research institute with access to a wide range of research expertise. We produce high quality trans-disciplinary research at the forefront of local government, public policy and governance which is industry relevant and contributes to achieving better policy and practice outcomes.
Research activities are guided by the overall strategic research objectives of the University along with the following:
- the expressed needs of the sector,
- the specific objectives of research projects commissioned by state, federal or industry bodies,
- the research priorities set out by the Australian Centre of Excellence for Local Government.
Areas of particular research focus and strength for the Institute include:
- Public administration and policy
- Community development, social policy and impact
- Intergovernmental relations, governance and parterships
- Local governance
- Service reviews
- Leadership and government capacity building.
An important aspect of the Institute’s research program is the range of activities undertaken to promote scholarly exchange and practitioner dissemination of research findings. These activities include seminar series, round-tables, visiting academics, publication of papers, conference papers, presentations to professional and industry groups and information exchanges with international local government organisations.
Along with a range of postgraduate courses, including a Master of Local Government, IPPG offers a PhD program to ensure a continuing stream of scholarly research on local government and local governance. As well as the capacity to offer some limited scholarships, the Centre is able to support students with academic supervision and access to relevant academic and industry networks. Further information about undertaking a PhD can be obtained from email@example.com.
See more detail of projects undertaken by IPPG.