Dates: 16-17 October 2018
Venue: UTS City Campus
Cost: $1,280.00 (GST free)
Local government is responsible for ensuring the health of their local communities and environment is protected. To achieve better environment and public health outcomes, Environmental Health Officers and other government staff must develop and maintain skills and knowledge in a wide range of environmental health activities.
This two-day course gives attendees a broad understanding of environmental health issues in a local government context.
The benefits of this course include:
- A current and up-to-date overview of Environmental Health issues in NSW
- An increased understanding of Environmental Health issues, giving a firm foundation for officers to make independent judgements and assessments in practice.
- A more holistic and sustainable approach to environmental health issues across different sections of Council
- Inspection and investigation skills and techniques
- The opportunity to establish networks with and learn from staff from other Councils
- Reduced time and cost of on the job training
Who should attend?
- Graduate, new & trainee EHOs
- EHOs returning to the workforce looking for a refresher
- EHOs working in specialised areas who are looking to broaden their skills
- Health & Building Surveyors
- Compliance staff
- Technical assistants
- Administration support & Counter staff
- Other government staff (eg/ NSW Food Authority, NSW Health, NSW OEH & EPA staff) looking to gain an understanding of environmental health activities in a local government context
Topics covered in the seminar include:
- Food premises, skin penetration premises, onsite sewerage management, regulated systems (cooling towers), disposal of bodies and public pools
- Complaint resolution of environmental health matters such as noise, odour, sewer leaks, woodsmoke, unhealthy conditions and hoarding & squalor
- Introduction to planning legislation and techniques used when receiving development application referrals
- Emergency Management
- Assessment of land contamination, asbestos issues and clandestine drug labs
- Licensed and sex on premises
- Environmental audits, waste management and sustainability
About the Presenters
Peter Rodham has worked in NSW in the Building and Environmental Health fields for well over a decade in senior roles, in addition to working for England’s largest Council. Prior to this he was employed for an engineering company providing environmental, work health & safety advice.
Peter holds a Bachelor of Applied Science (Environmental Health) Degree and the Certificate IV in Workplace Training & Assessment. He has a passion for teaching and looks forward to sharing his broad knowledge gained from working with stakeholders such as NSW Food Authority, NSW EPA/OEH, Sydney Uni, Hilton Hotels, Carols in the Domain, London Transport Museum and Buckingham Palace.
Kristy McCreadie has over 10 years’ experience working in environmental health roles in local government. She has also held positions at the NSW Food Authority and in quality assurance in the private sector.
Kristy holds a Bachelor of Applied Science (Environmental Health) Degree, Graduate Diploma in Food Technology and a Cert IV in Training & Assessment. Kristy is a member and former Board Director of EHA NSW Inc and a member of EDAP. Kristy has represented local government EHOs on a number of working groups with State Government agencies and Non-Government Organisations and is passionate about continuing professional development.
Fee and Discounts
Standard Full Day Fee - $1,280.00 (GST Free)
- 10 % discount for 2 - 4 registrations from the same organisation
- 20% discount for 5 or more registrations from the same organisation
Discount can be selected from the drop-down box on the Book Now page.
How to book:
- ONLINE: Book and pay by credit card
- REQUEST AN INVOICE: Organisations with an ABN can also be invoiced. Please complete the Invoice Request Form and email to email@example.com to request an invoice.
For all course related enquiries and future dates, please contact us on (02) 9514 7884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions relating to this course.
For all other enquiries regarding enrolment or payment, please contact UTS Short Courses on Tel: +61 (02) 9514 2913 or email email@example.com
Courses are subject to minimum enrolment numbers to run.