Professional development at the Institute for Public Policy and Governance
The Institute for Public Policy and Governance at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) is a leading group of researchers and practitioners in the areas of public administration and policy, social research, stakeholder engagement and leadership. We undertake applied social and academic research, policy advisory, graduate education and professional development training.
The UTS Centre for Local Government, part of the Institute for Public Policy and Governance, is the only university unit in Australia, and one of a few worldwide, that designs, develops and delivers courses that are tailormade to the education, training and development needs of professionals and elected representatives in the local government sector.
Our courses are developed after extensive government and industry consultation and are designed to make maximum benefit of the knowledge gained from the Institute's concurrent research and consultancy activities. Our presenters are expert practitioners who work on a daily basis, in or with government, local councils and the private sector. Courses are offered in an interactive workshop style, with online materials for flexible learning, and students typically remark on the real benefits of shared learning with a group of colleagues.
Pathway to postgraduate studies
Successful completion of some of our short courses can also provide a pathway to postgraduate study in applied policy and local government. Potentially up to two thirds of the total credit point requirements of our postgraduate courses can be met through recognition of prior learning. Our postgraduate courses include Master, Graduate Diploma and Graduate Certificate degrees.
Learn more about short course to postgraduate study options.
We are ideally situated adjacent to Sydney's Central Business District. Most of our short courses are held in Building 1 (Tower) of the UTS City Campus, located at 15 Broadway, Ultimo. The closest train station to UTS is Central Railway Station, approximately a 10-minute walk to the venue.
If your preference is in-house delivery at your premises, please see below information on tailored course and in-house delivery.
Tailored short courses and in-house delivery
We can also deliver short courses externally and tailor them to meet individual requirements.
We recently worked with the Victorian Government Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) to deliver the 'Enhancing Local Government Service Delivery' training program. Watch the below video for some participant feedback on the course.
Short Courses by Subject
Building Regulation and Certification
- ABC of the BCA
- Advanced Building Regulation
- Building Regulation
- BPB Certification Short Course
- Environmental Health in Practice
- Performance Solutions and Principles of Fire Engineering
- Plan Reading
- Swimming Pool Assessments, Compliance & Safety Awareness
Planning for Bushfires
Development Assessment and Control
- Advanced Development Assessment
- Development Assessment
- Lessons from a Planning Panel
- Local Infrastructure Funding
Management and Planning
- Applied Ethics for State and Local Government
- Applied Project Management
- Comparative Local Governance
- Contract Management Fundamentals
- Contract Negotiation Skills
- Diversity and Inclusion in Local Communities
- Enhancing Local Government Service Delivery
- Executive Certificate for Elected Members
- Focus on Community Engagement
- Foundations in Public Participation (IAP2)
- Igniting an Innovation Mindset- Rapid Prototyping
- Local Environmental Management
- Local Government Principles and Practice
- Organising and Managing in Local Government
- Problem Solving and Decision Making in Local Government
- Project Management Fundamentals
- Outcomes Focused Program Evaluation
- Research in Local Government
- Risk Management Fundamentals
- Social Planning and Community Development
- Strategic Planning
- Workforce Planning
- Working with Local Government: Creating Best Possible Results
- Community Leadership Project
- Contemporary Local Government Leadership
- Empowering Women in Local Government
- Leading Change
- Leading in Local Government
- Team Building and Leadership
- Urban Policy
- Policy in Practice
- Policy and Resources
- Evidence and Decision Making
- Contemporary Policy Challenges
Finance, Economics and Performance
- Applied Procurement and Contract Management
- Finance for Non-Finance Managers
- Introduction to Local Government Finance
- Performance Monitoring
Would you like to know more about our professional development short courses? Give us a call on +61 2 9514 7884 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTS Institute for Public Policy and Governance, incorporating the UTS Centre for Local Government
University of Technology Sydney
PO Box 123 Broadway NSW 2007
T: +61 2 9514 7884