The UTS Institute for Public Policy and Governance and the Centre for Local Government undertake applied social and behavioural and academic research, policy advisory, graduate education and professional development training.
- Trans-disciplinary and comparative research about public policy and governance
- a PhD program to support an on-going stream of contemporary research on key sectoral issues
- Postgraduate education including a Master of Applied Policy, Master of Local Government, a Graduate Diploma in Local Government Management, a Graduate Certificate in Local Government Leadership and a Graduate Certificate in Development Assessment.
- Professional development and accreditation programs for government professionals, including executive training programs
- Specialist consulting and advisory services for councils, government agencies and associated industry and professional bodies
- International programs and development projects.
Our areas of expertise
- Public Policy – a diverse range of policy topics including social policy, housing policy and local and regional development policy
- Community Development and Social Impact – participatory democracy, community mobilisation, grassroots governance, co-design of policies and co-production of services, urban renewal and urban regeneration
- Intergovernmental Relations, Governance and Partnerships – multi-level governance; metropolitan reforms and metropolitan governance; rescaling the state; public-private partnerships; institutional restructuring; strategic collaboration, cross-border alliances and growth coalitions
- Local Government Studies – the nature, role and effectiveness of local government; national and international comparative local government practice, local government in developing countries; local government and economic development
- Urban Studies, Housing Studies and Urban Planning – new urban trends and challenges arising from contemporary patterns of urbanisation, including the implications for urban theory, urban policy, urban politics, urban marginality and urban political economy
- Organisational Ethics and the Public Sector – governance and oversight; ethical theorising; and the public sector and codes of conduct.