The University of Technology Sydney Centre for Local Government (CLG) is the leading university-based Centre in Australia delivering an extensive program of local government research, teaching and specialist consulting services. CLG is part of the UTS Institute for Public Policy and Governance (IPPG).
It is an independent, cross-faculty centre within UTS and commenced operation in 1991 to support the advancement of Australian local government. It is now the largest Centre of its kind in Australia.
CLG promotes a cooperative approach and maintains close ties with a large number of local government associations, professional institutes and academic bodies in Australia, the Asia-Pacific and globally. The Centre also works closely with local, state and federal government organisations.
CLG’s activities are diverse and include:
- trans-disciplinary and comparative research about local government and local governance
- a PhD program to support an on-going stream of contemporary research on key sectoral issues
- postgraduate education including a Master of Local Government, a Graduate Diploma in Local Government Management and a number of Graduate Certificate courses
- professional development, short courses and accreditation programs for local government professionals
- specialist consultancy services for councils, government agencies and associated industry and professional bodies
- international programs and development projects.
From 2009 to 2015 CLG hosted the Australian Centre of Excellence for Local Government (ACELG) as part of a consortium that included the Commonwealth Government, University of Canberra, the Australia and New Zealand School of Government, Local Government Managers Australia, the Institute of Public Works Engineering Australia, and program partners Charles Darwin University and Edith Cowan University. ACELG enjoyed significant success in advancing best practice in local government and encouraging the adoption of innovative practices and solutions. At the end of 2015 the Centre for Excellence came to a close, although a small number of ACELG projects were implemented throughout 2016 and 2017. ACELG project outcomes, relevant information and toolkits are hosted by UTS.
Reports and manuals
- The 2016 IPPG and CLG Annual Report is available here.
- IPPG, CLG and ACELG reports and manuals are available here.
CLG consultancy services
CLG is established as a specialist consulting service with a high standard of professional consulting practice. CLG consultancy is renowned for understanding the needs of local government and local communities across a range of complex strategic, planning and policy issues.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Governance and Leadership
- Service Delivery
- Community Engagement
- Rural-remote and Indigenous local government
- International Alliances
- Social Planning
- Service Delivery Reviews
- Environmental Management
- Asset and Infrastructure Management
- Corporate Strategic Planning
- Workforce Development
- Social Research
Centre for Local Government (CLG)/ Institute for Public Policy and Governance (IPPG)
University of Technology Sydney
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007
UTS Tower Building, Level 21
Ultimo NSW 2007
Tel: +61 2 9514 7884