The Centre has five primary technology themes, each led by a key researcher:
- Intelligent transport systems: use of latest advances in ICT technology to develop innovative services and applications relating to different modes of transport and traffic management and enable various users to be better informed and make safer, more coordinated, and 'smarter' use of transport networks.
- Urban sensing for smart cities: use of networked sensors in urban environments to collect information for smart city management. A recend trend is exploiting the ever-increasing power of smartphones in sensing and computing to collect information efficiently and cost-effectively.
- Real time Web engineering: development of Web based applications for control and monitoring of real-time complex information-oriented systems.
- Networked sensor information processing: design of systems for data fusion from wide-scale real-time multiple sensor applications.
- Wireless communication networks: enabling technologies for next-generation wireless systems, including advanced modulation and coding techniques, multidimensional communication systems, advanced signal processing technology and estimation algorithms.
- Network management: autonomic network management; network planning; teletraffic engineering; analysis of complex network management data.