In particular, the Centre aims to:
- Develop research in the area of media arts and raise the University's public profile in this field.
- Stage events, seminars and exhibitions presented to the university community and the general public.
- Act as a major influence in the development of a media arts precinct in the Ultimo district, with particular emphasis on developing partnerships.
- Foster international exchanges and partnerships for staff and students.
- Provide the educational, community and professional sectors with a gateway to media arts expertise and resources in the University.
- Enhance and contribute to innovative and flexible teaching at undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels.
- Develop and offer short courses to the university and general public, where appropriate.
- Undertake consultancies, where appropriate, to contribute to the financial support the above objectives.
The Centre is accountable to the University's Deputy Vice Chancellor through the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.