Supervisor: Professor Dikai Liu
Mahdi Hassan completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), and started his PhD studies at UTS Centre for Autonomous Systems (CAS) in 2013. His research interests in robotics include complete coverage, path and trajectory planning, multi-robot collaboration and optimization-based algorithms.
The research topic he is currently working on is cooperative complete coverage by autonomous industrial robots in unstructured and dynamic environments. This research topic involves: (1) the robots collaboratively determining base placements from which they will operate on the object, (2) partitioning and allocating surfaces for fair workload division, and (3) planning complete coverage paths for the robot's end-effector tool to follow. The mathematical models being developed to handle the aforementioned tasks account for uncertainties in base placements, robot team's objectives and unexpected changes that may occur in the environment.
- Enabling Methodologies for Automated Monitoring and Control of Robotic Grit-Blasting Process and Multi-Robot Collaborative Blasting
- Intelligent Robotic Diver for Underwater Bridge Pylon Cleaning and Inspection
- Biologically Inspired Robotic System for Steel Bridge Condition Assessment.
- P. Ward, D. Liu, K. Waldron and M. Hassan, “Optimal Design of Magnetic Adhesion for Climbing Robots,” 16th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), Sydney, 2013, pp. 375-382.
- M. Hassan, D. Liu, S. Huang and G. Dissanayake, "Task Oriented Area Partitioning and Allocation for Optimal Operation of Multiple Industrial Robots in Unstructured Environments," 13th IEEE International Conference on Control Automation Robotics & Vision (ICARCV), Singapore, 2014, pp.1184-1189.
- M. Hassan, D. Liu, G. Paul and S. Huang, " An Approach to Base Placement for Effective Collaboration of Multiple Autonomous Industrial Robots," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Seattle, WA, 2015, pp. 3286-3291.
- M. Hassan, D. Liu and G. Paul, “Modeling and Stochastic Optimization of Complete Coverage under Uncertainties in Multi-Robot Base Placements,” IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Daejeon, 2016.