Increase the innovation capacity and culture of your company. Add UTS research to your team.
Applying academic knowledge, new insights and a creative approach to industry research challenges, the UTS Industry Doctorate Program (IDP) can:
- Connect organisations with our best and brightest PhD candidates.
- Develop and upskill your employees. Partner with UTS and commit at least 50% of employee’s time to your industry project, their PhD!
What is the Industry Doctorate Program (IDP)?
The IDP is a PhD program that aims to prepare researchers for careers outside academia and to help increase the innovation capacity of industry. The IDP comprises a number of features:
- 3–4 year full-time research project, where a UTS PhD candidate is typically based in the partner organisation investigating a complex industry problem.
- Academic environment with access to world class researchers, research facilities and infrastructure, in the heart of Sydney’s innovation hub.
- A specialised Industry Researcher Development Program to support the candidate’s research and to help develop the professional skills needed to further their career.
What is the Industry Researcher Development Program (IRDP)?
The IRDP provides knowledge and skills to effectively create, plan, negotiate outcomes and deliver on industry projects. It aims to develop strong researchers who are collaborative, enterprising, strategic and entrepreneurial.
Facilitated by a range of research and industry experts, the IRDP will be offered in block mode to enable candidates to work within supportive cohorts. The commitment is approximately 15–20 days per annum, allowing uninterrupted time to be spent on their industry research project.
Following orientation of the UTS research environment, a suite of Business and Professional Modules will be delivered throughout the period of candidature:
- Collaboration and relationship building
- Business management
- Innovation, commercialisation and entrepreneurship
- Industry engagement/awareness
- Career planning and management
- For further details, visit: www.IRDP.uts.edu.au
What types of research projects?
- Solve an industry problem
- Develop prototype of new product, service or process
- Explore and develop expertise in technology
- Feasibility study
- Short/long term impact of a newly established program, system or structure
- Evaluation of an innovative health service
Who can be an industry partner? By industry, we mean any organisation external to UTS. It may be:
- A private sector organisation (e.g. startups, SMEs and corporates)
- State owned enterprises (e.g. Sydney Water)
- Public sector organisations (such as a hospital or emergency service)
- A non-governmental organisation (NGO), charity or volunteer group
- Government (local, state or federal)
- A Government funded research organisation (e.g. CSIRO)
What are the benefits for IDP candidates?
- Enhance candidate’s career options as a researcher in industry
- Build a strong relationship with potential employer
- Grow a professional network with both industry and the academic world
- Opportunity to develop knowledge and skills in communication, innovation, commercialisation and leadership (skills relevant in academia and industry)
- Attractive scholarship to assist with full-time PhD studies (n/a if an existing employee of industry partner)
What are the benefits for your industry?
- Increase competitiveness and advance industry position in the market
- Support long term innovation development of industry
- Access to cutting edge scientific and technical knowledge for industry problems
- Increase the innovation capacity and culture of your company
- Input from a range of academic experts
- Develop highly skilled researcher as potential employee
- Research results and access/ownership to intellectual property generated
- Create opportunities for broader and deeper industry-university collaboration
How do I collaborate with UTS?
The Graduate Research School
Phone +61 2 9514 1336