PowerWalker intelligent walking aid
We have developed an electrically powered walking aid that provides intelligent assistance and independence for people with reduced mobility by responding to their intended actions.
ENGLISH | 中文版
Many aging and physically challenged people have the ability to walk with the aid of a walking frame or rollator, yet struggle with the muscle control needed to manipulate the walking aid. Our PowerWalker provides intelligent assistance to allow people to walk without fear of colliding into walls, doorways or other obstacles.
Unlike standard walking frames or rollators, the PowerWalker combines powered motion with intelligent user-intention-based control, providing a stable walking platform that automatically responds to the user’s needs without explicit commands or control. Multiple sensors are used to monitor the user’s position and to assist the user in avoiding collisions, or to manoeuvre through narrow spaces and doorways. The PowerWalker also has the ability to sense and assist the user when sitting or standing, something that is not possible with traditional walkers.
- Assists the user to navigate through doorways and around obstacles
- Senses and assists the user to sit and stand
- Auto-park function allows the user to send the PowerWalker away when it is no longer required, and recall it when it is needed
- Hospitals, rehabilitation clinics, aged care facilities and in-home
- Aged care and disability care
Status and IP Position
A prototype has been built and tested. We are seeking partners to work with our researchers to further develop the technology.