How to register
Registering to become a research supervisor
All graduate research supervisors must be admitted to the Graduate Research School supervisor register before they start supervising students. To register, please complete the following steps:
- Complete either the supervision registration application for UTS staff/honorary appointments, or the supervision registration application for external supervisors and forward it to your faculty research office (see contact details below).
- Provide evidence that you meet the criteria for your chosen supervisor category.
- Complete the training and professional development required for your supervision category.
Once your faculty has approved your application, it will be forwarded to the Graduate Research School (GRS) for final approval. You will receive an email confirmation from GRS once you have been admitted to the supervisor register.
For information on the expectations and responsibilities for managing research as part of a graduate research program, view the Graduate Research and Supervision Policy.
Note: your initial registration as a supervisor will be for a period of three years, after which you will be required to register again using the same process. GRS is responsible for renewing expiring supervision registrations in consultation with your faculty.
Submit your completed application via email
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- UTS Business School
- Faculty of Design, Architecture & Building
- Faculty of Health
- Graduate School of Health
- Institute for Sustainable Futures
- Connected Intelligence Centre
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Law
- Institute for Public Policy and Governance
- Faculty of Transdisciplinary Innovation
Submit your completed application to Faculty of Engineering & Information Technology via email
- School of Biomedical Engineering
- School of Electrical and Data Engineering
- School of Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
- School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- School of Information, Systems & Modelling
- School of Computer Science
- School of Professional Practice and Leadership
Once you are registered as a supervisor
Once you have formally registered as a supervisor, your UTS profile page will indicate that you can supervise research students.
This will inform potential students in your research area that you are qualified to supervise them. Students may also be able to find you through the UTS Find a Supervisor search tool. However, you should also make an active effort to recruit qualified students through your networks.
Your supervision journey begins when a student expresses interest in undertaking a research degree under your supervision and you agree.
Once a student applies for admission, during the application assessment process you will need to form a supervisory panel with the appropriate expertise.