Guidelines for the Industry Doctorate Program (IDP) Student Conference Fund
The Graduate Research School (GRS) makes funds available for Industry Doctorate Program (IDP) research students to present their work at international academic conferences. Every IDP student is eligible for up to A$5,000 during their candidature. An IDP student cannot apply until they have successfully completed their Stage 1 assessment.
- Conference must be of international status and highly regarded.
- Applications are accepted without confirmation of conference involvement, however funds will only be issued to successful applicants once confirmation has been provided to GRS.
- Funding must be approved prior to travel/attendance and any approved funds are specifically for the conference nominated in this application and may not be used for any other conference/purpose.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome via their student email account and, if successful, how to receive the approved funds.
- Students are responsible for completing a Travel Approval Form through their faculty to be covered by UTS travel insurance.
- Successful applicants must provide a written report (as outlined in this document) on the conference outcomes to GRS, within two months of attendance.
- Students must inform GRS if they are unable to attend the conference as soon as possible. In such cases, if funds have been paid, they must be returned in full.
Funding is limited to:
- conference registration (at student rate, if available);
- return economy airfares (lowest, non-flexible fare); and
- accommodation for duration of conference (+ 1 night prior to start date), if outside student’s home city. This will be paid at the lowest conference hotel rate (attach quote/booking in application).
To be eligible for conference funding, the student must:
- have successfully completed their Stage 1 assessment;
- have submitted all required Progress Reports or Review of Progress reports to date and not have received an “Unsatisfactory” result;
- not have exceeded the maximum allocated funding of $5,000 during their candidature;
- have submitted all IDP Student Conference Fund report(s) for previously funded conference(s);
- be within their Funded EFTSU Consumed (FEC) date at the time of conference;
- be formally enrolled at the time of conference and NOT:
- On a Leave of Absence or
- Under Examination for their research degree;
- not have received funding under the Vice-Chancellor’s Postgraduate Research Student Conference Fund;
- not be reimbursed via other sources for what is being claimed/paid under this application;
- demonstrate relevance of the conference to their research project; and
- present at conference in one of the following ways:
- Type of presentation
- Keynote speaker/invited speaker
- Presentation—full paper
- Presentation—abstract or brief paper
Reporting on the conference
Students who receive support from the IDP Student Conference Fund must submit an online report, no later than two months after the Conference date. This report may be made publically available to showcase UTS student research activities. Students who have received support from the Fund but have not provided a report to GRS within 2 months of attendance, will be ineligible for future funding.
The report should contain:
- Student’s name, student number and Faculty or Institute
- Name, location and date of conference
- Abstract of presentation
- Brief reflection (max 400 words) on the experience and outcomes of attending and presenting at the conference and, if applicable, visiting research group.
Apply for the IDP Student Conference Fund