UTS site search

Applying to UTS

International students

This section is for international students only.

For further information on studying at UTS as an international student, please visit our international student website.

Back to top

1. Application deadlines

  • Spring session, July-August commencement: 31 March
  • Autumn session, January-March commencement: 20 August
  • Scholarship application deadline: 20 August

Back to top

2. Select your course

Find a research area

Check that you meet the eligibility criteria for admission to a research degree at UTS. This information can be found in the UTS admissions policy and the relevant course entry in the UTS online handbook. Please note that individual faculties may also have their own specific requirements for admission to research degrees.

There are thirty research strengths at UTS, located across seven faculties and one institute. Before you apply, you should investigate the broad range of research activities and projects that researchers are currently engaged in at UTS.

Search course preferences and select the course you wish to study.

Please note that not all faculties offer a July (Spring) intake for research degrees. This information is available under the Course duration heading on each course page.

Check your eligibility

Check that you meet the eligibility criteria for admission to a research degree at UTS. This information can be found in the UTS admissions policy and the relevant course entry in the UTS online handbook. Please note that individual faculties may also have their own specific requirements for admission to research degrees.

Think about a scholarship

UTS offers research scholarships to support international students interested in Masters by Research and Doctoral programs.

Pre-assessment process

Some faculties have a pre-assessment stage to the application process. If your proposed area of research falls into one of the following faculties, you are required to complete the pre-assessment form

If you are applying to any of the other faculties, please progress to the next step “Find a potential supervisor”.

Back to top

3. Find a potential supervisor

It is important that you find a potential supervisor for your proposed area of research. Please contact the relevant research staff member or contact the relevant faculty or institute, to ensure that UTS can supervise your intended research topic.

If you are applying to the Faculty of Health, you MUST submit a supplementary form (docx, 58kB) to your potential supervisor for approval.

You will need to provide the following information when you contact the faculty or your potential supervisor:

  • a brief research proposal which includes your research topic and background of the project. This must reflect your ability to do research
  • a current CV or resume (including a list of your publications)
  • academic transcripts

In addition, some faculties will require more documentation at this stage. It is best to consult with your faculty.

Back to top

4. Develop your research proposal

Once you have found a potential supervisor in the faculty, you will need to develop a plan of your proposed research, detailing your research objectives, examples of key literature in your area of interest and a broad outline of the sequence and timing of the work that you plan to do.

The requirements for this research plan or proposal vary in each faculty.

Please note, obtaining consent from a UTS academic to supervise your research does not guarantee automatic admission to a course at UTS.

5. Lodge your application

Late applications will not be accepted. It is best to apply early to allow yourself plenty of time to organise your Australian student visa to study at UTS.

Once you have chosen your course, you can prepare to lodge your application online. There are two steps to the process.

Step 1: You must first register yourself as a user.

Step 2: Once you have registered, you will be given a user name and password to allow you to log back in anytime. After registration, you will be able to submit your application to study a course.


Back to top

6. Attach supporting documentation

All applications require supporting documents to be submitted to UTS.

All documents submitted with this application become the property of UTS.

The actual support documentation required depends on the applicant, and the type of study they are applying to do.

  • academic transcript, include certified copies of your academic records
  • English language proficiency, include a certified copy of your English test score if available
  • details of exclusion (or possible exclusions) from a course on academic or other grounds
  • details of disability or ongoing medical condition that will require you to seek special assistance from the University attach a medical statement from a registered doctor
  • provide a statement of employment from current and all previous employers to substantiate the professional experience you have outlined in your CV

Certified Copies of Supporting Documentation

UTS will accept copies certified by employees of one of the following:

  • Australian Overseas Diplomatic Mission
  • UTS Authorised Representative or Agent
  • Public Notary Office
  • the Administration of the Institution which issued the relevant document
  • an Australian University

Alternatively, documents verified by someone who is currently employed in AUSTRALIA as:

  • an accountant — members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, or the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, or the National Institute of Accountants, or the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or Registered Tax Agents
  • a bank or credit union manager
  • a barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
  • a police officer with the rank of sergeant and above
  • a post office manager
  • a principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
  • a commissioner for declarations
  • a Justice of the Peace where the registration number is clearly indicated

Certification of Documents

Correctly certified means that your original document has been sighted and the copy has been sworn to be a true copy of the original by one of the authorised people mentioned above. Please note that scans or photocopies will not be accepted.

Translation of Documents

Documents not in English must be officially translated and submitted together with certified copies of supporting documents.

Officers authorised to translate official documents into English include:

  • NAATI (National Accreditation Authority for Translators & Interpreters) accredited translators (opens external site)
  • A translator from a reputable translation company in your home country
  • Note: the translated documents must have an official (translation) seal and be signed by the translator
  • An official translation from the institution that issued the document
  • UTS registered student recruitment agents
  • A public notary

Privacy Notice

UTS will take steps to verify that documents which have been certified are authentic if it believes that the certification may be in question. UTS will use the contact details provided by the Authorised Officer, or obtained them from public registers, for this purpose (eg a state’s Justice of the Peace Register).

Personal information will be used to investigate any suspected fraudulent activity, which will be dealt with in line with the University’s Student Rules or the Fraud and Corruption Prevention and Public Interest Disclosures Policy as appropriate in the circumstances. Suspected fraudulent activity may also be referred to the police.

Back to top

7. Where to send certified documentation

Please provide certified documentation to the Graduate Research School:

By post:

The Graduate Research School
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007

In person:

The Graduate Research School
Level 7, Building 1
15 Broadway, Ultimo 2007

To a UTS representative:

You can submit your application to one of the many student recruitment agents worldwide. These student recruitment agents are happy to discuss study options available at UTS.

To a UTS representative at a UTS International event:

Your application can also be submitted directly to a UTS representative at a UTS international event.

Back to top

8. Checking application progress

You will be able to check the status of your application in My Student Admin by logging in with your student ID and password.

Back to top

9. Accepting an offer

If you meet all UTS requirements, you will receive a letter of offer to study at UTS.

You will then need to accept the offer.

Back to top

10. Applying for your student visa

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection requests that all research students undertaking a Masters by Research, PhD or short term research placement in Australia provide the following documents with their student visa application. Providing these documents with your application reduces the need for DIBP to request them from you, and will reduce processing delays for many applicants.

  • Detailed CV, research proposal details, academic transcripts, and details of publications
  • Completed form 1221

Back to top

11. Enquiries

If you would like to apply for a course where the session is not yet available or if you have an enquiry, please submit an enquiry to the Graduate Research School.