UTS site search

Applying to UTS

How to apply

The information on this page is for domestic students only. If you are an international student please apply from the international student section. If you are a visiting research student please apply from the visiting research student section.

1. Application deadlines

Note: not all faculties offer a spring intake for research degrees. Please check with the relevant faculty for more information.

  • Spring session July commencement: 31 May

Australian Government Research Training Program Stipend Scholarship (RTPS) is open for Spring 2017 applications. Please indicate clearly that you wish to be considered for RTPS scholarship in your online application

  • Autumn session January commencement: 31 October

Back to top

2. Getting ready to apply

Check your eligibility

Check that you meet the eligibility criteria for admission to a research degree at UTS. This information can be found in the UTS admissions policy and the relevant course entry in the UTS online handbook. Please note that individual faculties may also have their own specific requirements for admission to research degrees.

Find a research area

There are thirty research strengths at UTS, located across seven faculties and one institute. Before you apply, you should investigate the broad range of research activities and projects that researchers are currently engaged in at UTS.

Think about a scholarship

The Graduate Research School has information about research scholarships that are available to support local students studying Masters by Research and Doctoral programs at UTS. In addition to the scholarships managed by the Graduate Research School, some of the individual faculties, institutes and centres run scholarship programs specifically for their own research students, and others may also be offered by external organisations.

Prepare your academic referee reports

You will need to supply academic references when you submit your application, so please download the academic referee report (PDF, 83kB). You need to fill out the applicant details section yourself and then forward the report from to your academic referees to complete the remainder of the form. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your referees return the reports to the Graduate Research School to complete your application.

Back to top

3. Faculty requirements

Complete any faculty pre-assessment requirements

Some faculties have a pre-assessment stage to the application process. If your proposed area of research falls into any of the following faculties, you are required to complete a pre-assessment form.

Find a potential supervisor

It is important that you find a potential supervisor for your proposed area of research. You can begin your search by using the Find a Supervisor database or by contacting the relevant faculty or institute, who can also tell you about any additional information that will need to accompany your application for a research degree.

Develop your research proposal

Once you have found a potential supervisor in the faculty, you will need to develop a plan of your proposed research.

The requirements for this research plan or proposal vary for research degrees in each faculty.

All other faculties will require a research proposal. For more information please refer to our advice on how to prepare a research proposal.

Back to top

4. Lodge your application

Once you have chosen your course, you can prepare to lodge your application online. There are two steps to the process.

Step 1: You must first register yourself as a user.

Step 2: Once you have registered, you will be given a user name and password to allow you to log back in anytime. After registration, you will be able to submit your application to study a course.


Back to top

5. Attach supporting documentation

Certification is a process whereby an approved individual, referred to here as an Authorised Officer, confirms the authenticity of a copy of an original document for the purpose of providing it to UTS. A certified copy of a document is can be provided in place of an original document.

An Authorised Officer must certify documents. Authorised Officers must be contactable by telephone during normal working hours. There may be a charge for copies made by some participating institutions.

Note: you are not permitted to certify your own documents, if you yourself are an Authorised Officer.

Authorised Officers include employees of:

  • The Universities Admissions Centre (UAC)
  • The Student Enquiries Office or Admissions Office at any UAC participating university
  • The Administration Office at any TAFE college
  • Interstate tertiary admissions centres
  • The official records department of the institution that originally issued the document(s)
  • An Australian overseas diplomatic mission and Australian Educational Centres

Alternatively, documents may be certified by someone who is currently employed as on of the following:

  • Accountant — including members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, National Institute of Accountants, Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or a Registered Tax Agent
  • Bank or Credit Union manager
  • Barrister, Solicitor or Patent Attorney
  • Police Officer with the rank of Sergeant and above
  • Post Office manager
  • Principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
  • Commissioner for declarations
  • Currently registered Justice of the Peace

The Authorised Officer who certifies your documents must:

  • Affix the official stamp or seal of the verifier’s organisation on the copy, if the organisation has such a stamp
  • Provide full name, profession/occupation or organisation name, and professional registration number
  • Print their business address and contact number (these contact details are optional for a Justice of the Peace)
  • Include their signature and the date the document was certified, and
  • Include the statement “This is true copy of the original document sighted by me” on all copies

In addition, a Justice of the Peace (JP) is required to provide:

  • Their registration number, and
  • The state in which they are registered as a JP.


UTS will take steps to verify that documents which have been certified are authentic if it believes that the certification may be in question. UTS will use the contact details provided by the Authorised Officer, or obtained them from public registers, for this purpose (eg a state’s Justice of the Peace Register).

Personal information will be used to investigate any suspected fraudulent activity, which will be dealt with in line with the University’s Student Rules or the Fraud and Corruption Prevention and Public Interest Disclosures Policy as appropriate in the circumstances. Suspected fraudulent activity may also be referred to the police.

Please provide certified documentation to the Graduate Research School:

By post:

The Graduate Research School
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007

In person:

The Graduate Research School
Level 7, Building 1
15 Broadway, Ultimo 2007

If you have a disability or ongoing medical conditions and you are applying for a scholarship (Autumn session intake only) you may also like to complete the special consideration application form (PDF, 75kB).

You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application approximately one week after your application is received by UTS.

Back to top

6. Accepting an offer

If you meet all UTS requirements, you will receive a letter of offer to study at UTS.

You will then need to accept your UTS offer.

Back to top

7. Enquiries

If you would like to apply for a course where the session is not yet available or if you have an enquiry, please submit an enquiry to the Graduate Research School.