The Zunz lecture series, established in 2001, explores broad community issues relating to engineering and information technology.
The lecture series was named in honour of the work of Sir Jack Zunz, a brilliant British engineer who led the design team on the Sydney Opera House as a partner of Sir Ove Arup. His approach to engineering and education was inspirational. The series was conceived and supported by Dr John Nutt AM, former Chairman of Arup Australasia and the inaugral convener of the faculty's Industry Advisory Network.
Today the Zunz lectures continue to reflect the synergies between Engineering, Information Technology and the world around us, bringing influential leaders to UTS to inspire and excite students, graduates and industry supporters in new ways.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology and the industry advisory network (IAN) have had the opportunity to host lectures by some of the most innovative and forward thinking leaders in the country. Past speakers include:
- Lucy Turnbull AO, Chair of the Greater Sydney Commission
- Dr Alan Finkel AO, Australia’s Chief Scientist
- Professor Viktor Mayer-Schonberger
- Else Shepherd, Chairman, Powerlink Queensland,
- Ross Fowler, Chief Executive Officer, Alcatel Australia,
- Dr Ziggy Switkowski, Chair of ANSTO,
- Peter Farrell, Chairman, ResMed,
- Dr Chris Roberts, FTSE, FAICD, CEO, Cochlear
- Professor Mary O'Kane, NSW Chief Scientist and Scientific Engineer and Chair, Australian Centre for Renewable Energy
- and many more
The lectures are generally held annually and create an opportunity for the Faculty's alumni, students, staff and industry partners to listen to engaging and thought provoking talks and network with peers.