UTS is proud to be one of the first Australian Universities to become a Signatory to the University Commitment to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In 2016 the UTS Institute for Sustainable Futures developed a tool to map their research against the goals, and in 2017 ISF researcher Katie Ross was a contributing author to the guide Getting Started with the SDGs in Universities, published for Australasian Campuses Towards Sustainability (ACTS).
The SDGs provide a framework for integrating sustainability into all areas of the university by;
- Helping to map activities already underway
- Building capacity and ownership of the SDGs internally
- Helping to identify priorities, opportunities and gaps
- Integrating, implementing and embedding the SDGs into university strategies, policies and
- Monitoring, evaluating and communicating actions against the SDGs.