For parents and carers
COVID-19 update: There have been disruptions to the planned U@Uni program in light of COVID-19. This includes cancellations of all Term 1 activities and the school holiday workshops. Please see our full update for further information.
The U@Uni Academy is a two-year program for high school students at our U@Uni partner schools, starting in Year 10 and finishing at the end of high school. Students will be provided both on-campus and in-school university experiences, academic support, and opportunities to develop skills in study and life that will benefit them at university and beyond. At the end of the two years, participants who successfully complete the U@Uni Academy will be offered a place to study at UTS (see full details about the graduation criteria on our FAQs page).
If your child has been selected for the U@Uni Academy, it is because they’ve demonstrated 21st century skills like commitment, collaboration, critical thinking, creativity and communication. We value these skills at UTS, and believe that potential to further develop and apply them is not necessarily accurately expressed in an ATAR mark. That's why we're looking beyond test scores in the U@Uni Academy, and providing opportunities for students who we think have the potential to succeed at university.
What to expect
Your child's commitment
There are a number of activities held on the UTS campus, and at your child's school, that your child is required to participate in to successfully graduate from the U@Uni Academy.Over the two years, they will be scheduled in the following activities:
- Academy Orientation: A one day on-campus introduction to the program. Your child’s school will bring them to campus.
- Summer School: A ten day on-campus experience during the summer school holidays.
- On-Campus workshops: 4 one-day on campus workshops held over a year.
- In-school mentoring: Our U@Uni Student Ambassadors will go to your child’s school and support them with goal setting and using recording their progress
- In-school tutoring and mentoring: During the HSC, our U@Uni Student Ambassadors will provide academic support weekly across terms 1,2 and 3. In some instances, these sessions are held after school.
Your involvement during the program
We would like to invite you to celebrate the achievements of your child as they participate in the U@Uni Academy!
Throughout the two years, we’ll invite you to attend exhibitions to showcase your child’s projects and accomplishments. We will be in touch with you as these opportunities come up, and to keep you informed on their progress during the program, via your preferred contact method.
Parents' and carers' guide to university
The parents’ and carers’ guide to university will provide you with more information about the educational options available to children after leaving school including information about university and vocational study. The guide is also available in Arabic, Chinese and Vietnamese.
If you would like further information, please contact our team at:
(02) 9514 1084