Online applications for the 2020 (round 1) will open on 02 September 2019. See 'Key Dates' below for more information.
How to apply
- Read the KTP Visiting Fellow program’s Eligibility Criteria (PDF, 215kB) and Guidelines (PDF, 424kB).
- UTS academics: identify an academic counterpart at one of our KTP partner institutions who shares similar research interests.
- KTP academics: identify a UTS counterpart. If you need help with this process, please register your expression of interest with the KTP Team.
- Discuss your research interests and identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Define your research project topic, outline the planned outcomes of your visit, and agree on the content of the Application.
- View a Preview version of the application form and prepare necessary documents.
- Once prepared, the UTS host academic submits a completed online application. Applications for 2020 Round 1 open O2 September 2019 and close on 15 October 2019. N.B. Please ensure you complete and submit the online application form rather than the preview version.
- Once the application has been submitted online, print and sign on the form, and submit a copy of the signed application to the KTP team by email or internal mail. Applicants may send a scanned soft copy of the form with the Dean’s signature to the KTP team by 18 October 2019.
Tips for a successful application
When planning and preparing your application, please ensure your proposed research collaboration satisfies the following criteria:
- A high quality plan including publications, external funding and Higher Degree Research students involvement
- Identify a significant number of other UTS and KTP researchers
- Engagement with the wider UTS community
- Ensure this research collaboration aligns with the Faculty’s research priorities/areas of focus. Articulate how this visit is relevant or has strategic importance to the Faculty
- Demonstrate how this visit builds deep relationships between the research groups in your Faculty and the KTP partner
For more tips for a successful application click here.
The application should address the following selection criteria:
- alignment of planned outputs with the program’s objectives and expectations
- evidence that the research collaboration has been thoroughly planned
- visiting fellow’s research career and achievements
- alignment with UTS’s research theme areas
Applications from early to mid-career academics are strongly encouraged.
Please read the Eligibility Criteria (PDF, 215kB) and the tips for a successful KTP Visiting Fellow Application above.
The DVC (Research) will consider all nominations and make funding decisions based on the:
(i) suitability of candidates against the selection criteria; and
(ii) available budget
Once the DVC (Research) has approved the nomination, the KTP team will liaise with the Human Resources Unit to facilitate an invitation letter so that the Visiting Fellow can apply for their visa. The visiting period should commence within the same calendar year.
The key dates for the 2020 (round 1) applications are:
- Online applications open: 2 September 2019
- Online submission of applications close: 15 October 2019
- Signed applications (by the Faculty Dean) due by: 18 October 2019
- Results announcement: 9 December 2019
- Visits to take place between February and November 2020
The key dates for the 2020 (round 2) applications are:
- Online applications open: 1 March 2020
- Online submission of applications close: 15 April 2020
- Signed applications (by the Faculty Dean) due by: 20 April 2020
- Results announcement: 15 June 2019
- Visits to take place between August and November 2020
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please allow at least two months to plan for applications prior to the application opening date. Use this time to identify academic counterparts at the Key Technology Partner universities, areas of mutual research interest, discuss the specific topic of research collaboration, and all the potential research outputs; such as plans for co-supervision of PhD students, external funding opportunities for your area of research in both countries and agree on possible titles of co-publications.
Please avoid visits in December, as it is the time in the year when the wider UTS academic community tends to be on leave, which makes the objective of broadening connections much more difficult to achieve.
Information for previous participants of the program
- If you have already participated in the Inbound KTP Visiting Fellow program (as a Visiting Fellow or Host Academic) please demonstrate that your previous visit produced substantial outputs and list these in your application
- If the Host Academic has participated in a Visiting Fellow program offered by any of our KTPs (outbound), please demonstrate that this visit produced substantial outputs and list these in your application
- You will be asked to outline the joint publications, joint research grant funding, joint supervision of Higher Degree Research Students, and/or development of connections with other academics at UTS or KTP that resulted from your participation in the KTP Visiting Fellow program (inbound or outbound).