Partner with us
At UTS, we believe innovation happens best in collaboration. That’s why we work hand in hand with partners from startup, not-for-profit, corporate, and government organisations to support Australia’s innovation ecosystem. We’re building a network of partners that catalyse and scale entrepreneurial experiences and education for UTS students, inspire and connect student founders, and engage with the ecosystem. One great example of how UTS is delivering the next generation of top tech talent is our Startup Internships program, featured below.
UTS Startup Internships
Create mutaually-beneficial experiences for the next genereation of entrepreneurship
Access some of UTS' best and brightest talent
Head of Global Partnerships and Programs, Investible
Investible is an early stage global investment group. Hayley and Nick were such a direct fit for our program, you know, the ideal interns are people who are naturally curious about entrepreneurship, but also in how they think and move, willing to learn, be agile, take on board 50 different things that we might throw on them.
Bachelor of Technology and Innovation, UTS
This internship has sparked a massive interest with me in startups. I came into it just wanting to experience the world and see what I would be doing, and it’s been absolutely incredible seeing how much I’ve grown as a person, as well as just sparking interest for future career paths.
Head of Community
Getting good people when you’re a startup is pretty time consuming and really expensive. Having UTS students coming into Fishburners and helping the startups has been an awesome resource. We’ve had a lot of startups be interested in getting students to come in.
I think one of the great things about the partnership between UTS and Fishburners is that Fishburners took care of some of the screening. They understood our criteria, types of people we are looking for, the project that we are looking to fill, and they screened for that.
At Investible, I’ve been really heavily involved in the planning of the Impact Games. So that started from data collection at the very beginning, all the way through to the execution of the event at the end. So it started off sourcing all the startups, you know, looking online, finding people that would be suitable, and then it quickly evolved to project managing and testing out all the challenges, and how the event would actually run on the day, and all the planning behind that.
Bachelor of Communication,
Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation, UTS
It kinda takes you some time to work into it, so they get to know who you are, you get to know the business, and your responsibilities kinda grow within a couple of months.
I’ve been exposed to so many different opportunities, one of the main ones being networking experiences. I’ve meet so many different people, so many great people that are really interested in what I’m doing at university and what I can provide with them, and so I’ve got this massive network now of people who I would not have come into contact with if I didn’t take this internship.
We have had a truly phenomenal experience working with the UTS interns. This program itself has really been amazing. We’ve struggled in the past with interns, and part of the problem is often it’s not the right fit, or we may not have something that interests the intern enough, and it takes a lot more time to manage or even recruit the right type of intern.
We can’t rave enough about the quality of the interns that we’ve had - just the best.
UTS is synonymous with innovation in Australia. I think they’ve done a number of good initiatives over the years and this is just the next one that UTS, I’m glad it’s come with Fishburners obviously, but I think it’s the latest one that UTS has come up with, and I think that we’re reaping the rewards at the moment in the community, and hopefully long may it continue.
Even still Investible, wanting to stay with them
for as long as I can because it’s been so valuable, and all the skills that I’ve gained from working with them, and all the people I’ve met through them, is just invaluable and I never want to leave.
2018 University of Technology Sydney
Whether your organisation wants to find your next agile graduate talent, build innovation capability in your existing workforce, connect with young high-growth tech businesses or support entrepreneurship in the community, the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Unit can help. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about collaboration opportunities.
How we work with partners
Entrepreneurial experiences and education
- UTS’s Startup Internship program gives students the opportunity to have meaningful work experiences in the innovation ecosystem and better prepare them for entrepreneurial career paths themselves—all while supporting Sydney’s startups with an infusion of fresh young talent.
- Startup internships runs in partnership with accelerators, incubators, and co-working communities, including BlueChilli, Cicada Innovations, EnergyLab, Fishburners, and HaymarketHQ.
Want more information?
- We work with our partners to develop cutting edge entrepreneurial content for UTS classrooms and workshops, as well as to strengthen entrepreneurial development and opportunities for the broader public. Our partners in education include the Foundation of Young Australians, CSIRO, the Founders Institute, and Spark Festival.
Inspiring and connecting student founders
- The IEU is committed to ensuring that entrepreneurship is accessible and open to everyone. We know our future will be brightest when the benefits of innovation are equally distributed. We work with partners to inspire young founders, both in the university and in the wider community.
- We’re currently working with the likes of StartupAUS, the Foundation for Young Australians, the NSW Department of Industry, TechStars, Spark Festival, the Founders Institute, Catalysr, This Week in Startups Australia, and GovHack.
- UTS Startups connects founders to mentors with entrepreneurial, industry, venture capital, and administrative expertise.
- Our partners in mentorship include the Foundation for Young Australians, Main Sequence Ventures, Significant Capital Ventures, and CSIRO, along with a number of individuals who generously offer their time to advise and challenge UTS Startups' young founders.
Supporting the innovation system
UTS’s purpose is to advance knowledge and learning through research-inspired teaching and research with impact. This is particularly important in the startup ecosystem, where high-quality, long-term data is still in short supply. We work with partners, including StartupAUS , to analyse Australia’s innovation landscape and assess our strengths and opportunities. The IEU also liaises with researchers across UTS who are pushing the frontiers of their fields.
- The IEU organises, participates in, and sponsors events for students, young founders, and the wider tech and entrepreneurial communities. In addition to hosting events in our own UTS Startups event space, UTS has partnered with Fishburners to support an event space in the heart of the Sydney Startup Hub. Recent event partners include Fishburners, StartupAUS, Reinventure, International Connector, City of Sydney, and REMIX Summit.
- Upcoming and past events