Construction of Master Plan projects has been underway since the end of 2010. The first stage concluded with the completion and opening of three new buildings in 2014–15, and further projects are now in progress.
UTS has engaged a variety of contractors to undertake the construction work to date, with each appointed via a competitive tender process. Careful steps have been taken to minimise disruption to students, staff, visitors and the local community during the construction phase of projects.
The ongoing operation of the UTS campus throughout construction has been paramount in the university's delivery of the Campus Master Plan.
While some disruption has been inevitable, UTS has taken steps to minimise the noise, dust and vibration generated by construction activities. Key measures have included:
- Recommendations on noise/vibration mitigation measures by acoustic consultants
- Installation of double glazing and other acoustic treatments on some buildings adjacent to excavation sites
- Relocation of affected teaching and learning activities, where possible
- Noise mitigation technology on some equipment
- Regular communications with affected stakeholders
- Careful programming of certain high-impact works on weekends or early mornings
- On-site dust suppression activities, such as water misters
Excavation is generally the most disruptive phase of any construction project, and was completed by end-2012 for the major projects delivered as part of the first stage of the Master Plan, with the demolition of Building 2 completed in 2017.
Stay informed, get in touch
If you have questions about any aspect of Master Plan construction works you should contact us at email@example.com
All contracts under the Master Plan have been the subject of a competitive tender process, which is in accordance with the UTS Procurement Policy.