Milestone for Botany Tech Lab as construction is completed
- Tech Lab prepares to welcome Faculty of Engineering and IT (FEIT) researchers
- Workspaces designed to encourage collaborative and activity-based working
Big doesn’t quite capture the scale of UTS’s recently completed and colourful Tech Lab in Botany. At more than 9000sqm, this new FEIT research facility is the size of several aircraft hangers – which makes the location close to Sydney Airport rather appropriate.
Following the completion of main construction work in early March – a milestone known as practical completion – commissioning and installation of equipment is now underway, ahead of the relocation of FEIT researchers from late April.
Workspace provides the best of both worlds
The Tech Lab is a hybrid model that offers opportunities for activity-based working while also accommodating those who prefer more traditional ways of working. The photos below provide a snapshot of the workspace, which includes:
- large collaborative kitchen and break-out space with video-conferencing facilities
- open-plan sit/stand workstations with monitor arms and docking stations
- a large project room that can be booked by project teams
- individual pods for focused, individual work
- meeting rooms and a mezzanine seminar space
- outdoor social space.
The Tech Lab also includes a variety of specialist workshops for a range of FEIT projects, including spaces for research, development and testing in these fields:
- civil engineering solutions, including earthquake-resistant construction
- multi-media systems, including those used for retail surveillance
- 5G network and communications
- vehicle systems
- photonics (light generation and manipulation)
- mechanics and electronics.
For enquiries about this project, please contact email@example.com.