Excitement is building at the Blackfriars precinct where children and staff from the childcare centre are counting the sleeps until they move into their purpose-built new facility in November 2017.
The new centre will not only offer increased capacity to help meet rising demand for childcare places, but create a purpose-built early learning environment for children. Playrooms and a commercial kitchen are just some of the spaces accommodated in the L-shaped, bright white building with its distinctive pitched rooflines. Meanwhile, outdoor spaces feature sandpits, grassed area with play equipment, build-your-own-cubby framework, toddlers’ water-play area, amphitheatre for story-time, raised veggie patch and a chicken pen.
Fun fact about the site’s sandstone
All sandstone blocks used in building the sandpits, amphitheatre and grassed play area were sourced on-site from original structures that had been carefully dismantled – delivering a win for sustainability and a material connection between the new childcare centre and the precinct’s heritage stone buildings.
What’s happening on-site?
The construction crew is racing the clock to reach practical completion in late September, with key activities including:
- Cladding and painting the last section of façade
- Completion of the outdoor areas for toddlers/pre-schoolers and infants
- Fitting out playrooms and other internal spaces
While the timeline is dependent on the licensing process and other factors, this is the current program:
- Building works complete – late September 2017
- Building licensed by the Department of Education – by mid-November 2017
- Relocation day (centre closed) – Friday 17 November 2017
- New building open for business – Monday 20 November 2017
A new industry hub for Blackfriars precinct
The site of the current Blackfriars Children’s Centre is earmarked for transformation into an industry hub, with a program of works to be announced in due course.