Broadway is about to get a little busier with a new site entry for Building 2 construction trucks and deliveries being created from Broadway.
Works to remove a slice of the existing footpath and create a new concrete entry to the site compound are expected to get underway on Monday 22 May and be complete by Friday 16 June. While efforts are being made to complete as much work as possible outside work hours (from 8pm), day works are also necessary to minimise the impact on our neighbours.
Once the new site entry is complete, trucks will begin entering from Broadway, while continuing to leave via Jones St (see the plan below). To date, trucks have been entering and leaving the site via Jones and Thomas streets.
Why are we doing it?
In a nutshell, efficiency. By enabling trucks to enter from one direction (Broadway) and leave via another (Jones St), they can move through the site more smoothly, with no need to manoeuvre and turn trucks within the site compound. It also allows construction traffic to be dispersed more evenly around the construction site, to avoid Jones St/Thomas St taking the full brunt.
What to expect
- During the works, the Broadway footpath in front of Building 2 will remain open but the width of the footpath will be temporarily narrowed near Building 11. Traffic controllers will be on duty to assist pedestrians.
- Following the works, pedestrians should be prepared for short delays on the Broadway footpath, to allow trucks to enter the site safely.
- Around six trucks an hour will use the new Broadway access when it opens – and up to 11 trucks an hour on days when concrete is being poured. Trucks will only use Broadway from 10am Monday–Saturday.
Trucks will soon be entering the construction site from Broadway (red arrows)
Minimising impact of the works
Please be assured that every effort has been made to minimise the impact of the works, as well as the new truck entry itself, including:
- scheduling construction work on the new truck entry outside business hours where possible – from about 8pm–5am. To lessen the impact on our neighbours, some works will be completed during work hours (7.30am-6pm). We thank UTS staff and students for their understanding
- limiting truck entry from Broadway to after the morning peak, from 10am. Between 7am and 10am, trucks will continue to enter the site via Jones St
- locating traffic controllers at the new entry to manage the safety of pedestrians and construction vehicles.
What you need to do
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times when in the vicinity of the construction site.
- Follow the instruction of traffic controllers for your own safety and others.
- Choose a route that avoids the Broadway footpath in front of Building 2, if at all possible.
- Please be patient. We appreciate that the construction works can be disruptive, but the pain will be worth the gain – check out the artist’s impression of our dynamic new student/research hub, if you don’t believe us!
Well worth the short-term pain – an artist's impression of Building 2 from Broadway
Visit the UTS website or Staff Connect (staff only) for further information on this and other projects. For enquiries about this project or the contractors, please contact email@example.com.