One of UTS’s five on-campus student residences is to get the full ‘spit and polish’, as part of an upgrade that will ensure our Gumal building on Broadway remains a great place to live.
The building, which houses around 250 students in studio and share apartments across eight floors, will enjoy an interior spruce-up – fixtures, fittings, furniture and finishes – as well as an upgrade to fire safety systems.
Gumal has housed UTS students since 2004, with this program being the first major upgrade since then.
Gumal apartments will receive a welcome face-lift
At-a-glance guide to the works
- Work will begin on level 2 in mid-July, moving progressively up the building, and is expected to be complete for the start of the main Autumn session in 2018.
- All apartments will be repainted and recarpeted, with some furniture and fittings replaced, sprinklers installed, and smoke detectors and emergency lighting upgraded.
- Gumal students will be temporarily rehoused while their floor is being upgraded, either elsewhere in the residence or in alternative accommodation.
- The upgrade work has been scheduled for business hours to ensure students have the opportunity for a good night’s sleep.
- Some noise/vibration, dust and lift delays are to be expected on adjacent floors during the works, with students and staff being prepared for the likely impacts.
Read more about Gumal and UTS’s other student housing residences.