Upgrade and relocation works see Building 1 humming with activity
Throughout Building 1 – including the iconic UTS Tower – myriad refurbishment and relocation projects are taking place, reflecting the university’s ongoing commitment to upgrading existing facilities.
No sooner is one project completed than others are scheduled, meaning the building is often humming (with occasional bursts of louder noise, as some may have experienced!). With most work occurring safely behind hoardings, few get to see the transformations taking place, so here we overview the major projects recently completed, in progress and ahead.
We appreciate that upgrade work can be disruptive. Thanks for your patience during this busy time.
- Level 16: Blink and you might have missed the news that level 16 was undergoing partial refurbishment as a bright, light and largely open-plan workspace for ActivateUTS’s Marketing and Communications team. This fast-tracked refurbishment wrapped up in mid-May, with ActivateUTS moving in later that month.
Partition walls are going up on levels 20 and 21
Projects in progress
- Levels 20 and 21: May was a milestone month for this refit project, with demolition and construction getting underway. Work is taking place concurrently on both floors, with noisier work being carried out after hours by a second team of contractors. Demolition is now complete, services are being roughed-in and the framing-in of partition walls us underway. Ceilings and joinery for kitchens and other cabinetry will follow later in June, with painting scheduled at the same time. The works are scheduled for completion in late August 2016, with International, Advancement, Shopfront, Corporate Relations and External Engagement moving onto level 20 – and the Institute for Public Policy and Governance relocating to level 21 (which will also house shared meeting room spaces for administration staff) from late September.
- Level 25: Student Services’ Careers team will relocate into their new space on level 25 of the Tower at the end of June 2016, following a partial floor refurbishment. The 30 June closure of Building 2, where Careers is currently located, meant a tight turnaround for the team working on the level 25 refit. However, partitions are now up and glazed, carpet is being laid and parquetry flooring polished, joinery for storage and workstations is being installed, and painting has begun. Furniture is set to be delivered shortly.
- Level 18: The partial refurbishment of level 18 in the Tower, for the Australia China Relations Institute (ACRI), will go to tender in mid-June, with the contractor to be confirmed in July, and demolition and construction commencing later that month. Features of the space will include a traditional Chinese tea-serving table and three ‘hot’ offices with booking consoles at the door. A concertina wall between the conference room and entry lobby can be opened up to create a space large enough for events once ACRI relocates in late October 2016.
- Level 25: The Planning and Quality Unit’s (PQU) workspace on level 25 is set to be refurbished over the coming months. Watch this space for more information soon.
- Level 27: A full refurbishment of this floor is on the cards starting late 2016/early 2017, once the space has been vacated. Further details will be available in due course.
The ACRI director's office on level 18 with traditional tea service
With projects in progress and about to start throughout the Tower, and additional demolition and construction ongoing in the basement of Buildings 1 and 2, there are a few things to be aware of:
- Lifts: Tower lift B is now reserved for construction goods and has a lift driver.
- Access: It is essential for safety reasons that no one attempts to access a Tower construction zone without the appropriate authority. For this reason, please observe all safety signage on hoardings.
- Construction traffic: Given the increased volume of construction traffic in the basement of Buildings 1 and 2, which is removing demolition debris and delivering materials for Tower upgrades and other projects, it is recommended to avoid level 2 if at all possible.
- Pedestrians: Staff working on level 2 basement, as well as visitors, are asked to be aware of their surroundings at all times, follow safety signs and instructions from security officers on duty, remain on pedestrian paths and wear a high-visibility vest. These are available in the lift lobby on level 2; please return upon departure.
- Thomas St ramp: The ramp to and from the level 2 basement is for vehicles only and must not be used by pedestrians, bicycles or scooters.
- Noise and dust: While the noisiest works in the Tower are taking place after hours, there has been increased noise and dust in the basement of Buildings 1 and 2 over recent weeks. We appreciate that this may be disruptive, and ask you to bear with us.
Visit Campus development news or Building works (staff only) for further information. For enquiries about Tower upgrade projects or the contractors, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.