Tower upgrade is here, there and (almost) everywhere
Consolidating all UTS administrative units in the Tower is an important part of the City Campus Master Plan, but with major refits underway on four levels, and further refurbishments in the pipeline, it can be hard to keep track.
So to help our community steer clear of the hoardings, builders and power tools, here’s our guide to works in progress and those just around the corner.
- This partial floor refit to create improved workspace for ActivateUTS’s seven-strong Marketing and Communications team is now underway.
- The space, featuring the blue and orange colour scheme of UTSActivate, will include six open-plan workstations, an office and utility room.
- Demolition has been completed and construction is in full swing, with walls, and power and data cables installed, and furniture and workstations being installed.
- Access to other spaces on the floor is not impacted, and hoardings are being removed, following the completion of glazing works.
- The project is due to be completed any day, with the ActivateUTS team moving in shortly afterwards, conveniently close to colleagues and with a much better view than in their former basement home.
A view of the Australia China Relations Institute's new accommodation on level 18
- The partial refit of a vacant space on level 18 for the Australia China Relations Institute (ACRI) is set to get underway in late July 2016.
- Schematic design is now complete, with the head contractor role to go to tender in June.
- The space includes a dual-purpose meeting room/broadcast studio featuring a ‘green screen’ and camera.
- The space may trial ‘hot office’ facilities to efficiently accommodate visiting academics.
- With the art of serving tea an important part of traditional Chinese culture, the chairman’s office will feature a Chinese tea table for conducting tea ceremonies.
- Completion is anticipated in late October 2016, with ACRI’s relocation following shortly after.
Levels 20 and 21
- Head contractor, Intrec Management, is now appointed and hoardings, protection and safety signage are in place.
- Demolition and construction have been given the green light to start.
- Both levels are now strictly no-go zones, unless otherwise agreed by the project manager.
- The state-of-the-art design features very executive finishes and furnishing in an open plan style environment, making the most of the natural light and vistas enjoyed by the Tower.
- Works are due to be completed by late August 2016, with the new occupants moving in during September.
Read about the interiors and their new occupants.
Artist's impression of the Institute of Public Policy and Governance's level 21 waiting room
- Work is now underway on a partial refurbishment of level 25, which is being made ready for the Careers team from Student Services.
- Please avoid the hoarded off section during the works, for safety reasons, unless authorised.
- Work is due to be completed during June, with Careers to relocate shortly after.
- Planning is underway for a refit of the Planning & Quality Unit (PQU) workspace in the other half of level 25 – look out for more on this project soon.
Find out more about the new Careers space, including internship hub.
For information on major campus developments, their timelines and impacts, please visit Staff Connect.