New faculty and facilities coming to Building 5C
There’s no denying UTS is a hive of activity at the moment, and in more ways than one. New initiatives inevitably mean new space – or more space – is required to accommodate them. And as our university grows, the number of construction projects on campus, both big and small, will also grow in number.
While works kick-off in Building 15 to accommodate the new UTS Animal Logic Academy, another is getting ready to commence in Building 5, Block C.
This project will see parts of levels 2 and 3 stripped out and then refurbished to accommodate growth in DAB’s School of Built Environment. Level 4 will also be stripped out and redeveloped for the university’s new Faculty of Transdisciplinary Innovation, with new spaces expected to be ready for the start of Autumn Session 2017 (March).
The project will also involve works to the ceiling of the level 1 Student Centre out of hours.
Artist's illustration of a collaborative classroom on level 2
- Strip-out and demolition of levels 2, 3 and 4 – commencing early October 2016, continuing for approximately six weeks. Noisiest works to be completed out of work hours, 9pm to 8am approximately
- Work to ceiling of Student Centre on level 1 completed after hours – mid-November 2016–mid-December 2016
- Fit-out of levels 2 and 3 and redevelopment of level 4 – commencing late November 2016. Noisiest works to be completed out of work hours, 9pm to 8am approximately
- Spaces completed – mid-March 2017
While we are taking every step to limit the impact on Building 5C, the project’s tight program means there will inevitably be some impact on those based in close proximity to the works, and we ask for your patience and understanding at this time.
Potential impacts include:
- some noise in those areas in close proximity to the works on levels 2, 3 and 4 or directly above or below
- the external covered walkway between Blocks B and C will be used to transport materials throughout the works, and will be a no-go zone for staff and students. Lift 3, which is located in this area, will be taken offline at various points in the project
- bathrooms within the construction site on level 2 will be closed to staff and students for the duration of the project
- visibility of works to the Student Centre ceiling, although the actual work will be carried out after hours.
Thank you for bearing with us while we complete this important project, which will deliver the space UTS needs to deliver some exciting new student programs.
Visit Campus development news for progress updates throughout the project. For enquiries about the project or contract, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.