Work on a state-of-the-art new building to house UTS’s sport science facilities kicked off last month with a ground-breaking (literally!) ceremony.
Attended by representatives from UTS’s partners in this project – the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust (SCGT) and Australian Rugby Union (ARU) – the ceremony was the first milestone moment for the new facility, which will see university programs integrated with major sporting facilities for the first time in Australia.
Breaking new ground at Moore Park
Located on Moore Park Road adjacent to Allianz Stadium, the Australian Rugby Development Centre (ARDC) will see UTS staff and students co-locate with the ARU when it opens in 2018.
What’s happening on site?
Excavation and piling work for the new foundations are well underway, ahead of the first concrete slab being poured on site during August – a process that will need to be millimetre perfect, given the facility’s location on government land.
Every three or four weeks, a new slab will be poured, which will form the building’s upper floors. As these are progressively installed, UTS staff and students currently working and studying at Moore Park should enjoy an excellent view of the six-level building rising from the ground.
An estimated 1400 skilled workers will play a part in building the facility, utilising advanced technologies and modern building techniques.
Artist’s illustration of the ARDC from Moore Park Rd
What’s going in the building?
When the building opens in for the start of teaching in 2018, it will accommodate a range of facilities purpose-designed for UTS, including a rooftop running track, resistance training room, research sports laboratories and multi-purpose sports hall. For a detailed, floor-by-floor breakdown of the ARDC’s spaces, make sure to look out for future editions of UTS: InProgress.
The indoor sports research facilities at the ARDC
- Topping-out – late December 2016/early January 2017
- Interior fit-out of UTS spaces commences – February 2017
- Construction complete – September 2017
- Open for teaching – from the Autumn session 2018
- For construction updates, visit: www.sydneycricketground.com.au/venues/ardcinformation/construction-updates.
- Watch a video of the sod-turning ceremony.
- Read about the impact the ARDC will have on learning and research
- Find out more about the ARDC at: www.ardc-moorepark.com.au.
- To contact the UTS project manager for this project, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.