Preparation works for a new state-of the-art sporting and education hub that will house the UTS Faculty of Health’s sport science and research programs are already underway at Moore Park, just weeks after the NSW Government green-lit the proposal.
The facility, known as the Australian Rugby Development Centre (ARDC), will see UTS students, teachers and researchers co-locate with the Australian Rugby Union, following the building’s anticipated completion in 2017. The project is the first in Australia to see university programs integrated with major sporting facilities such as the Sydney Cricket Ground and Allianz Stadium.
The ARDC façade features a distinctive environmental sunshade device
UTS has the upper two and a half floors and an external terrace in the six-level ARDC, which has been designed by architects Populous and will feature extensive use of sandstone, polished concrete and glass, as well as a dramatic aluminium facade that acts as a environmental sunshade.
What’s happening on site?
- AW Edwards has been appointed as head contractor and took possession of the site in late May 2016.
- Site establishment works are in progress, with hoardings around the site now installed, along with construction signage. Promotional/informational graphics are being added to the hoardings.
The ARDC construction work site is being established at Moore Park
Construction and fit-out
- Construction of the ARDC will be managed differently to UTS’s other new facilities, with the base building being delivered jointly by UTS and the ARU.
- UTS’s internal spaces are being designed by Populous, with the design now substantially complete.
- UTS’s internal spaces include teaching and research labs, an indoor training hall, a gym, general teaching and study spaces, and 50 bike rack spaces.
- UTS will also have a roof terrace with running track and space for other activities.
Artist impression of UTS's roof terrace with running track
- Completion of site establishment works – mid-June 2016 (weather depending)
- Ground works for construction of base building commence – late June 2016
- Interior fit-out of UTS spaces commences – February 2017
- Construction complete – September 2017
- Open for teaching – from the Autumn session 2018
- For construction updates, visit: www.sydneycricketground.com.au/venues/ardcinformation/construction-updates.
- Find out more about the ARDC at: www.ardc-moorepark.com.au.
- To contact the UTS project manager for this project, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.