Blackfriars project gets top marks from childcare kids
Work on a new access pathway to the UTS Blackfriars precinct from Buckland St, Chippendale, is about to get underway, in preparation for construction of the new Blackfriars Children’s Centre later in 2016 – and 50 pre-schoolers couldn’t be happier about it.
They are eagerly anticipating the first sight of the construction crew and equipment, in possibly the most positive response to a campus development project UTS has yet experienced.
Artist illustration of the main corridor in the new childcare centre
Parents among our staff and student cohort are also enthusiastic about the additional 34 childcare places that the purpose-built Blackfriars Children’s Centre will offer when it opens in mid-2017.
Impact of the works
Notwithstanding the excitement of the children at the centre and impact mitigation measures taken by Facilities Management Operations (FMO), which is delivering the project, some disruption is unfortunately unavoidable during the works.
Initial work and impacts will be as follows:
|Buckland St||Construction of new access pathway||Construction and vehicle noise||From April 2016, Mon– Fri 7.30am–5.30pm, Sat 7.30am–3.30pm|
|Closure of vehicle access|
Childcare users to enter Children's Centre from
Staff and student pedestrian access only to CB22/CB24/CB25 from Blackfriars St
|From April 2016|
|Childcare on-site drop-off/pick-up parking||Closing||Families to use short-term parking on Buckland St||From April 2016|
The access pathway is expected to be complete by late May/early June. At this time, attention will move to demolishing Building 21, a demountable at the southern end of the precinct, which will make way for the new childcare centre. The building’s former occupants, UTS’s Advanced Analytics Institute (AAi), kindly vacated in early April and are now located in Building 25.
- Construction of new access pathway commences – April 2016
- Demolition (of Building 21) and excavation commence – early June 2016
- Construction of new childcare centre commences – June 2016
- New childcare centre construction completed – early 2017
- New childcare centre certified/licensed – mid 2017
- For enquiries about the project or the contractor, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit Staff Connect (staff only) for construction information about this and other development projects around campus.