UTS’s mighty Tower may not be known for its good looks but, as the saying goes, looks can be deceiving (and this is certainly true of good ol’ Building 1).
Upgrade work continues in the Tower, with levels 11, 12, 15 and 16 up next
So, what's happening?
- SAU will relocate from level 5 of Building 1 to level 15 and part of 16
- ITD will relocate from a number of levels within the Tower to levels 11 and 12. Following this ITD will be consolidated across levels 9–12 of the Tower
- Level 11: (part floor) Workstations, kitchenette and break-out space, utilities, storage and quiet rooms
- Levels 12 and 15: (full floors) A mix of workstations, director’s office, meeting rooms, quiet rooms, informal collaborative spaces, large kitchen and utilities
- Level 16: (part floor) Workstations, storage and packing area
Architects LahzNimmo are behind the design of the new SAU and ITD workspaces which will be in line with UTS space standards developed for fit-outs on all levels of the Tower. This includes services being clustered in the core and workstations located around the perimeter to take advantage of natural light (and the great view!).
Design is being finalised as we speak. Stay tuned for images of the new fit-out in a future issue of UTS: InProgress.
Countdown to construction
Timeframes for the works are as follows:
- Contractor for the demolition will start on site in the week commencing 13 July
- Demolition phase will be completed in early September 2015
- A tender for the main works construction will go out shortly and will be awarded in August
- Construction will commence in late August, with a view to completing all levels in December 2015
- Relocation of SAU and ITD, which is being managed by move consultants MovePlan, will take place over the Christmas break
What's the impact?
- NOISE: For those in Building 1 (particularly on those levels on or near works taking place) never fear – all noisy and disruptive works are scheduled to take place out of office hours (9pm–8am Monday to Saturday and all day Sunday)
- Some noise will be unavoidable. Please contact Project Manager Mark Podolec if you have any questions or concerns
- ACCESS: No access will be permitted on levels 12 and 15 throughout the project with the exception of contractors and project staff. Lifts, except Goods Lifts B and F, will not stop at these floors. No one should attempt to reach the affected floors using the fire stairs without the appropriate authority
- Staff currently based on levels 11 and 16 will not experience any access restrictions
- Plastic sheeting will cover panelling in lift lobbies for protection and hoardings will also be in place around construction zones