Public Broadcasting Under Review: A Panel Discussion
The Centre for Media Transition at UTS welcomes you to an open forum about the challenges and opportunities facing public broadcasting.
Join our experienced and passionate panel as they discuss how ongoing policy reviews and the dramatic events of the past year will continue to shape the future of the ABC and SBS. Followed by a Q&A with the audience.
ABC’s director of news, analysis and investigations Gaven Morris;
The Australian’s contributing economics editor, ex-ABC deputy chairJudith Sloan;
Communications law expert and former senior public servant, partner Holding Redlich Angela Flannery;
Digital content specialist, member of Convergence Review Louise McElvogue.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Will public broadcasters ever be fully independent when they rely on government support with no agreed funding formula?
- Do the legislated charters covering the ABC and SBS really serve the public interest? Should they be revised?
- What can we expect from the various government reviews into public broadcasting?
- What is it like being at the coalface of public broadcasting when these debates rage around you?
- Are the broadcasters fulfilling their obligations in terms of Australian content?
- Does the government need to rethink the role of the ABC and SBS boards?
Each panelist will speak for 15 minutes, leaving approximately 45 minutes for Q & A.
Drinks & canapes will be served after the forum. We look forward to seeing you at the event.
This is a free event, but registration is mandatory.
Event registration is limited.
Learn more about the Centre for Media Transition: