What can you do with a degree in sport and exercise?
Whatever you’re passionate about, a sport and exercise degree will prepare you to pursue a wide range of roles in the global sport industry. Sport and exercise degrees will help combine your interest in health promotion and physical fitness with your passion for working with people, preparing you to deliver sport and exercise activities in all segments of the community.
We are a leading provider of courses in both sport and exercise science and management.Our sport and exercise management degrees will give you fundamental knowledge of the biophysical, behavioural and sociocultural foundations of sport and exercise, as well as the management expertise required to work effectively in business, marketing or management within the sport exercise industry.
Pathways to the big time
A UTS sport and exercise degree can be a stepping stone to a range of additional qualifications – you could complete degrees in both exercise science AND management; progress to a Master of Physiotherapy on completion of your undergraduate degree; and obtain a Cert III or Cert IV in Fitness, provided you meet course requirements.
Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA) was founded to meet the professional needs of exercise and sports scientists in Australia. ESSA have formulated a set of standards for tertiary institutions to adhere to, ensuring excellence in graduate outcomes.
UTS students studying the Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science with the Exercise Science major are eligible to apply for the following ESSA memberships either directly or via pathway:
- Accredited Exercise Scientist membership; or
- Accredited Exercise Physiologist membership (possible via pathway); or
- Accredited Sport Scientist membership (possible via pathway).
Depending on your degree type, elective choices and professional interests, a sport and exercise degree can prepare you for a wide range of roles in the sport, recreation, health and fitness sectors.
Sport-related roles include:
- sports scientist
- high performance manager
- performance analyst
- strength and conditioning coach
- exercise physiologist
Health and fitness roles include:
- personal trainer
- group exercise instructor
- exercise rehabilitation consultant
- corporate health and fitness consultant
- gymnasium/weights/aerobics instructor
- health and fitness instructor for specific populations (such as the elderly)
- ergonomics consultant.
Recreation roles include:
- positions in health and fitness in outdoor education, sports and recreation centres, holiday camps and recreation parks.
Education roles include:
- personal development
- sports coaching
- personal training, dance
- athlete education and development
- coach education and development.
UTS students can apply for casual or part-time work on campus at UTS or externally. Use the following link to browse available student jobs.
The following external websites provide current job opportunities in the sport and exercise industry.
Sport and Exercise
Generic job sites with Sport/Exercise/Community search words embedded
- Careerone (sport)
- Careerone (exercise)
- Careerone (personal trainer)
- Careerone (sport manager)
- Careerjet (sport)
- Careerjet (exercise)
- Careerjet (personal trainer)
- Careerjet (sport manager)
- indeed (sport)
- indeed (exercise)
- indeed (personal trainer)
- indeed (sport manager)
- adzuna (sport)
- adzuna (exercise)
- adzuna (personal trainer)
- adzuna (sport manager)
- Seek (sport)
- Seek (exercise)
- Seek (personal trainer)
- Seek (sport manager)
- Simply Hired (sport)
- Simply Hired (exercise)
- Simply Hired (personal trainer)
- Simply Hired (sport manager)