Retail investment property analysis
The retail landscape is changing rapidly. Understanding the drivers of this changing environment, as well as its impact on properties, demographics and retail markets, is critical to effective retail investment. With this course, you’ll learn to understand retail trends and their impact on the risk and return of the retail class. From indicators of thriving and profitable retail spaces to those that are unlikely to succeed, you’ll learn to view the market with a practised eye.
2020 dates TBC
** Applications are open to Australian or New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents. If you do not meet these requirements please find out more about non-award and cross institutional study here
Who is it for?
This course is for asset managers, real estate investment trust managers and other professionals whose roles involve balancing property portfolios.
Here’s what you’ll study
This course is split into four key themes:
- the retail asset lifecycle – how retail assets differ from other commercial property assets, how to actively manage retail assets, and implications of stage in lifecycle for asset performance
- the retail offer – how this is influenced by understanding trade area demographics, and how disrupters such as online shopping will shape the retail offer in the future
- retail development – drivers and strategies for retail development, stakeholder engagement, and the role of feasibility studies in identifying sensitivity
- acquisition and due diligence – stabilising income, understanding how retail leases differ from others, optimising operating costs and facilities management.
Course content includes:
- Stages of the retail asset lifecycle
- Asset management stakeholders
- Physical attributes of the retail offer
- Trade area demographics
- Retailers and retail mix
- Retail development fundamentals
- Opportunity elevation
- The works
- Opening and stabilisation
- Income security
- Retail leases acts
- Operating costs and facility management
Here’s how you’ll study it
This course runs over four days, with each day dedicated to one of the four main themes.
And here’s what you’ll get at the end
By the end of this course, you’ll understand:
- the retail asset lifecycle and how the sector is changing
- how to analyse the retail offer as a basis for investment decisions
- the key elements of due diligence.
Meet your presenter
Rob Green is the founder and managing director of Retail and Commercial Property Solutions and has been delivering solutions to complex property challenges for more than 30 years. He has extensive experience in all aspects of retail development and asset management, from small neighbourhood shopping centres to a $3.4bn multi-award-winning development, to the ongoing management of retail and office buildings in the heart of Sydney. Prior to founding RCPS, Rob served as the owner’s representative on behalf of the Westfield Group for the allocated assets in South Australia and Sydney CBD, and was the Development Manager of the 85 Castlereagh Street office tower, amongst other roles.