I’ve heard more governments are introducing mandatory self-isolation and I want to go home. Can I leave UTS Housing?
Yes. As the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation continues to evolve, we understand that some students may want to return home to be with their families. If you wish to vacate, we encourage you to contact the UTS Housing Service to cancel your licence agreement without penalty.
However, for those who have no alternative or no need to leave, rest assured that UTS Housing remains open, you are welcome to stay and we plan to take care of you.
Classes at UTS have been put on hold until Tuesday 24 March, but is UTS Housing still open?
Yes. UTS has paused classes until Tuesday 24 March to support social distancing measures. However, UTS Housing remains open to residents (though some staff are working remotely and office hours are be reduced).
We’ve also taken additional precautions to protect our residents, including:
- Cancelling all social and academic events at UTS Housing until further notice.
- Increasing sanitisation of high-touch points in each residence.
- Placing hand sanitiser at each residence.
- Providing 24/7 nursing staff onsite.
- Identifying isolation rooms (studios only) for UTS residents who require it (and, if isolation is required we will be providing support).
- Assisting any UTS Housing resident who arrives from overseas after 15 March to self-isolate (as required by the Federal Government )
- Reducing visitors to UTS Housing by requesting residents to:
- keep the number of guests to a minimum
- avoid get-togethers or parties in your room or common areas
- not allowing any overnight guests.
For more information and advice about COVID-19, visit uts.ac/coronavirus.
I’m worried about living in UTS Housing, should I be?
The current risk to staff and students remains low, however the safety of our staff and students is our priority.
We understand that health issues like this can feel a little scary. Be assured that we’re monitoring the situation closely and working with NSW Health to ensure our community members stay healthy and safe.
Before entering UTS Housing this year, we’ve asked all students a number of questions to find out if they should be isolated here or sent to hospital for treatment as outlined by government advice. And we have procedures in place to help anyone who may need it.
In UTS Housing, we’re using a special hospital-strength cleaning product called Surfex to clean and disinfect all rooms, as well as high-touch common areas like lifts and kiosks every hour. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and you can find up-to-date information on this page.
For more Coronavirus FAQs, please head to uts.ac/coronavirus.