ACICIS - Australian Consortium for In-Country Indonesian Studies
8 January – 17 February 2018
Are you interested in being a foreign correspondent?
Spend six weeks undertaking a media internship in bustling Jakarta learning about the country and its thriving media industry.
This program gives students a unique opportunity to gain academic credit for practical work experience in Indonesia’s vibrant media sector. Students attend two weeks of academic tuition at Atma Jaya University, Jakarta prior to undertaking a four-week practicum placement (internship) in an Indonesian media workplace environment. Recent JPP placements have included the ABC, CNN, Fairfax, Reuters, Agence France-Presse, The Jakarta Post and communications departments at a range of international organisations.
The ACICIS Journalism Practicum Program aims to provide students of journalism, media and communication studies with the opportunity to live and work in Jakarta’s diverse and dynamic media scene in the Asia-Pacific region.
AUD $3,375 (UTS Member Rate)
- Two weeks of intensive Indonesian language classes
- Seminars and fieldtrips from Indonesian journalism and media organisations.
- Some cultural activities
- Four week supervised practicum placement
- UTS travel insurance for the duration of the program
What’s Not Included
- Airfare to Indonesia
- Visa costs (approx. AUD $70-$75 - social-cultural visa obtained prior to departure)
- Potential bank transfer fees of program costs
- Personal expenses (approx. from AUD $20 a day which may include food, taxi fares, sight-seeing, socialising and other incidentals)
- UTS Tuition fees when enrolled in UTS Summer International Elective –– International Internship, 97901 (6cp) or 97900 (8cp)
Conditions of Acceptance into ACICIS Journalism Professional Practicum (JPP)
- Applications to be submitted to ACICIS by 15 September 2017
- ACICIS to send a list of applicants to UTS to check eligibility for NCP
- Must be an Australian Citizen and meet eligibility criteria of NCP Scholarship
- Placement will be given to students whom meet the NCP eligibility
- Students must have a free elective to enrol in Summer International Elective – International Internship, 97901 (6cp) or 97900 (8cp)
Accommodation options vary is boarding house style accommodation for an additional amount approximately AUD $200 - $700 per month
More information can be found on the ACICIS website here
Check out the video to see what you could be in for!
Successful and eligible applicants received a $3,000 New Colombo Plan Scholarship or a $1,000 BUiLD Travel Scholarship in support of this program.
New Colombo Plan Scholarship (NCP) of $3,000 are available to eligible students.
BUiLD Travel Scholarship up to $1,000 are available
OS Help Loans up to $7,880 are available to eligible students
BUiLD Equity & Diversity Scholarships are available for students experiencing proven financial hardship
Academic Credit – Summer International Elective
It is a requirement for NCP that you must receive academic credit. It is recommended that you enrol in Summer International Elective – International Internship, 97901 (6cp) or 97900 (8cp)) for details. Please note that if you do take this program as part of an elective, you are still liable to pay the fees for the UTS subject, in addition to the fees for the international experience.