Pathway to physiotherapy
The Bachelor of Health Science can lead to entry into the Master of Physiotherapy at UTS or the Master of Physiotherapy at USYD (opens an external site). This is subject to students meeting the entry requirements determined by each university.
Each Master of Physiotherapy course requires a number of prerequisites for entry. The earlier you consider Physiotherapy as a potential career path, the easier it will be to structure your electives accordingly.
To meet prerequisite requirements you must:
Complete the major in Human Structure and Function
- 92511 Structural anatomy
- 92521 Functional Anatomy (pre-req structural anatomy)
- 92512 Biomechanics of Human Motion
- 91429 Physiological Bases of Human Movement
- 92533 Exercise Physiology
Complete the following Neuroscience elective
Note: Timetable clashes may prevent students from undertaking Neuroscience at UTS and / or externally.
In the event that the above options are not possible, students interested in Physiotherapy may consider undertaking BIOS1171 Neuroscience at the University of Sydney. This would be credited back to your UTS degree as an elective. The procedure is as follows:
- Complete the UTS application for concurrent study form
Note: There are application closing dates and students are strongly advised to complete this form by the end of April for Spring enrolment and by the end of September for Autumn enrolment.
- Attach the Subject Outline for BIOS1171 Neuroscience available from University of Sydney.
- Once you have received approval from UTS, complete the online Health Sciences Undergraduate Cross Institutional application available from University of Sydney. You will need the approval letter from UTS plus some other documents (refer to instructions online) to complete this.
- Upon approval, the University of Sydney will send out an enrolment pack. Help in completing these forms are available from University of Sydney, Cumberland Campus - Student Central (p +61 2 9351 9161).
- When the subject has been completed and marks have been received from the University of Sydney, complete the Subject exemption application for concurrent study form from UTS. This will enable your marks from Sydney University to be attributed to your UTS degree as an elective.
How to apply
Students should regularly check the relevant websites for details on how and when to apply for enrolment into the Master of Physiotherapy (typically October each year).