UTS Online privacy notice
UTS Online is a learning platform for the provision of courses (including subjects and full degrees), which is used by the University of Technology Sydney, of 15 Broadway Ultimo NSW 2007 (ABN 77 257 686 961) (UTS) and its service provider Keypath Education Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 73 168 643 730), who assists with course design, marketing and student recruitment and administration services, and who may collect your personal information for and on behalf of UTS (Keypath and UTS together, we, our, us). When you visit the websites online.uts.edu.au and studyonline.uts.edu.au (collectively UTS Online) (and whether or not you are a registered user), we may collect information about you and your visit, and such personal information will be handled in line with UTS' website privacy statement.
This UTS Online Privacy Notice covers how we collect, use, disclose and otherwise manage your personal information, how you can contact us about your information and how we communicate with you. This notice may be updated at any time, so you should periodically review this notice to ensure you are aware of our current practices.
For further information about your privacy, including the contact details for UTS' privacy officer, visit privacy at UTS.
When do we collect your personal information?
We will generally collect your personal information directly from you, including in the following scenarios:
• if you register an account with UTS Online, we will collect additional personal information about you, including your name, contact details, demographics, login details to manage your account, your student ID number if you are a past or existing student of UTS and your interest in, and current enrolment status for, courses;
• if you enrol in a course, we will collect personal information in relation to your progress in, and completion of, the course (including any special requirements, disability or health information, such as dietary requirements, which you provide to us in connection with your course, and information about any failure to complete a course), as well as other personal information which is relevant to the course you have registered for, including information that may be required to determine financial aid or recognise prior learning such as education or work history. Where payment is required to enrol in a course, UTS will not collect or store your credit card details and payments will be carried out through a secure payment gateway;
• if you make an enquiry through, or otherwise submit personal information to, UTS Online (including if you download our course guide or communicate with one of our representatives) we will collect personal information provided in connection with, or necessary to respond to, that enquiry or submission (including your name, contact details, the contents of communications, location, education and work history and interest in courses); and
• if we are required or authorised by law to collect such personal information.
There may also be occasions when we collect personal information about you from a third party, such as when an organisation (on your behalf) enrols you in a course, or where we collect your personal information from our third party service providers, including Keypath, who may provide student success advisors or otherwise interact with you on our behalf. You authorise us to collect your personal information from such parties.
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, UTS and Keypath may not be able to respond to your enquiry, allow you to enrol in a course, or otherwise interact with you.
Why do we collect, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect, use, disclose and otherwise hold personal information about you for the following purposes:
• to enable you to register for an account with UTS Online, and otherwise utilise and interact with our website;
• to enable you to enrol in, (if applicable) pay amounts in respect of, and complete courses;
• to communicate with you in relation to your courses, your account, or other services being provided to you including responding to any enquiries or requests you make;
• to provide you with a personal learning experience, which may include recommending specific courses which we believe meet your needs, as well as communicating with you in relation to your progress and course completion;
• to support your further engagement with UTS, including enrolment in further courses or enrolment with UTS;
• as required or authorised by applicable law, including for the purpose of complying with mandatory reporting requirements under law, including, but not limited to, meeting UTS’ mandatory government reporting obligations;
• quality planning and ongoing improvement of the UTS Online platform, programs, course offerings and student outcomes, including using your personal information to send you feedback surveys, or to review trends in how individuals interact with UTS Online and progress through courses and further study with UTS; and
• other purposes with your consent, including marketing purposes described below and any purposes set out in the MyStudentAdmin application privacy notice or the Student Declaration.
When you register for an account, or otherwise submit your personal information to us in connection with UTS Online (including where you request course materials), you agree that representatives of UTS may contact you, including by email, phone and SMS, to provide you with information about UTS Online, courses, events, opportunities to study at UTS or related services which we believe may be relevant to you.
You can opt out of receiving any such marketing in connection with UTS Online by changing your preferences through your account, firstname.lastname@example.org or by following the unsubscribe process described in the relevant marketing communication. If you unsubscribe, you may still receive emails and other communications (including, communications which are factual in nature or which relate to course administration) from or on behalf of UTS if you have given your contact details for other reasons which do not relate to UTS Online. Visit the Student Marketing & Recruitment Privacy Notice for further information.
When do we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information in the following situations:
- your information may be disclosed to service providers who are engaged (directly or indirectly) by or on behalf of UTS in connection with the provision of UTS Online, including providers of IT services (such as providers of hosted data storage or customer relationship management services), providers of courses, entities who assist with student administration, recruitment and other marketing activities. Such service providers may be located overseas, including in the United States and Singapore. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that any overseas recipient will deal with your personal information in a way that is consistent with this notice and our obligations under law (including, as applicable, the principles under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) and the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth));
- UTS will authenticate and verify any credential or qualification that you claim to have received from UTS, including through the UTS Online platform. The verification process is designed to protect the integrity of credentials and support students in proving they hold the credentials they claim to have in line with UTS' qualification verification service;
- if an organisation enrols you into a course, information relating to your completion of that course, and payments where relevant, may be disclosed to that organisation; or
- to an external third party who conducts, or assists with the conduct of, a review or investigation of misconduct, complaints and/or grievances, or to an auditor in connection with an audit or investigation.
Your personal information will not be disclosed otherwise unless required or permitted by applicable law or otherwise with your consent (including for any purposes set out in the MyStudentAdmin application privacy notice or the Student Declaration).
You can access and correct personal information which we hold about you through the student-portal.uts.edu.au section of your UTS Online account. If you are unable to access or amend any of your personal information through your account, or if you would like to ascertain what personal information we hold about you, you are entitled to request such access or correction by contacting email@example.com. We will endeavour to deal with any such request in a timely manner and without excessive delay.
If you have any questions about, or complaints relating to how your information has been processed, managed or otherwise handled in connection with UTS Online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will endeavour to respond to and resolve such questions or complaints in a timely manner. If you are unhappy with our response, you may contact the NSW Privacy Commissioner at email@example.com or (in respect of Keypath) the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au.
We will hold your personal information until it is no longer required for the purpose of providing you with services related to UTS Online or another purpose described in this notice, unless UTS or Keypath is obliged under a legal retention requirement to retain that personal information for a longer period of time (for example, where you have enrolled in a course of study). Once no longer required for such purposes, we will securely destroy your personal information.