UTS Finance Masterclass: COVID-19 Economic & Financial Shock
We would like to extend a warm invitation to the topical webinar hosted by the UTS Finance Department: COVID-19 Economic & Financial Shock. Are Equity Markets Signalling a Quick End to the Economic Downturn? Will they be Right?
When: Wednesday 27th May, 2020 at 12 pm
Meeting Link: The meeting link will be displayed to you after you register for the event.
Cost: This is a free event
Registration: Please find the details and registration link below.
“Are Equity Markets Signalling a Quick End to the Economic Downturn? Will they be Right?”
Countries across the globe are slowly easing the lockdown, but is this the calm before the storm? In this presentation Industry Professor Warren Hogan and Professor Talis Putnins will discuss the macroeconomic and financial market dynamics of the COVID-19 shock including:
- What economic and financial recession dynamic will be revealed the pandemic economic shock?
- Is it realistic to expect a quick bounce back in economic activity?
- Most economic downturns start as a tightening of financial conditions before impacting the real economy. But when the government stops the economy the financial implications may lag underlying economic developments.
- Equity markets have sprung back by over 20% from their lows – does this mean we are on the road to recovery, or are the markets giving us false hopes?
- Equity markets are becoming less efficient in how well market wide valuations predict future economic activity. The drivers include unconventional monetary policy by central banks and the rise of delegated investment management. So how vulnerable is the stock market's powerful recovery?
Warren Hogan – Industry Professor, UTS Business School
Professor Hogan is the UTS Business School Executive-in-Residence since 2018. He appears widely in the media and writes regularly for The Australian Financial Review and The Conversation. Previous roles include Chief Economist at ANZ, Principal Advisor at the Commonwealth Treasury, Chief Economist and Head of Interest Rate Research at Credit Suisse in Australia.
Talis Putnins - Professor (Finance), UTS Business School
Talis Putnins is a professor in the Finance Department of the UTS Business School. He has previously been a Visiting Scholar at Columbia University and New York University. His research on equity markets, market structure, and investments has been published in leading international peer-reviewed journals. Professor Putnins has done consulting and policy work for governments, stock exchanges, and financial institutions and served as an expert witness in legal cases.
This event is for professionals in the finance, investment, banking and related industries and anyone who is interested the latest thinking in these fields.
For event questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org