Developing Leadership Skills
This one-day course will help both current and aspiring leaders to build fundamental leadership skills by engaging participants in interactive lectures, psychological tests, problem-solving and self-reflection exercises. The course will draw attention to the role of differing perspectives for understanding leadership and how these relate to modern managerial dilemmas as well as the unique skill set of each individual leader. At the end of the course, you will have a deep understanding of the complexities of leadership and how this should be applied to your personal leadership style and values.
Leadership is a very broad topic which results in varied opinions within the business world on what leadership is, and what a good leader does—it can be difficult to distinguish the incidental examples from the proven approaches. UTS Associate Professor Peter McGraw delivers this program by drawing on his years of depth research and practical experience in leadership, integrating different perspectives on this discipline to share with you what the science of leadership says–and how it can help you.
Learning Objectives & Topics
- Understand the dimensions of effective leadership based on key research findings
- Discover key leadership traits and behaviours and how they impact your effectiveness
- Explore the 'Big Five' personality factors and how they connect to your success as a leader
- Work out the strengths and weaknesses of your personal approach to leadership
- Transfer insights and knowledge into a practical personal development and growth plan
- Gain a fuller understanding of leadership
- Become a more confident and competent leader
- Develop an improvement plan to work on future leadership competency
- Build your leadership confidence on a sound foundation of rigorous research and practice
- Learn to motivate and engage your staff more effectively and get higher levels of commitment and engagement
Who Should Enrol?
This course is designed to benefit professionals who lead others as part of their role.
Meet the Presenter
|Peter McGraw is an award-winning academic who teaches in the UTS Executive MBA as well as researching and publishing in a variety of areas concerned with leadership and management. He is a well-known consultant and executive educator and has worked with many large Australian and international companies running programs in management, leadership and change.|