Students may choose to complete a work experience or internship placement voluntarily, when they’re unable to enrol in an internship subject or when the placement is not a mandatory part of their degree.
Students, who have free electives, are encouraged to enrol in a UTS Science Internship Subject and receive academic credit for their work.
Students, who do not have free electives or do not wish to enrol in a Science Internship subject, may complete an unpaid internship as a Faculty-Approved Voluntary Internship.
Prior to committing to a voluntary internship, an unpaid internship that is not for academic credit, students must:
- negotiate their placement details with the host organisation
- make sure they are happy with the placement arrangements (visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website for guidance about unpaid work)
- inform the Faculty by submitting a Voluntary Internship Application through UTS CareerHub (all current UTS students will be covered by UTS Insurance only if the correct paperwork is completed and submitted to the Faculty for approval, at least a week before the internship’s commencement date).
How to gain Faculty approval:
If you’ve been offered an internship and wish to complete it as a Faculty-Approved Voluntary Internship, you must complete a Voluntary Internship Application and submit the required paperwork through UTS CareerHub.
- Log into UTS CareerHub, using your UTS student ID and password
- Click on ‘Dashboard’ tab, in the menu bar on top of the page
- Under ‘Dashboard’ list, on the left-hand-side of the page, select 'UTS Voluntary Internship'
- Read and follow the instructions outlined in every stage of the workflow
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries.