The UTSremotelabs group has been actively involved with schools in South Western Sydney as part of the UTS U@Uni outreach program in collaboration with the national Bridges to Higher Education initiative, which aims to increase the number of students from under-represented communities successfully completing university study.
Our outreach program provides school students with interesting and engaging science and technology content, aligned with the new Australian curriculum, via in-school projects, visits to UTS, science-based competitions and teacher professional development. Currently, there is a particular focus on experiments in the area of renewable energy such as hydro, wind, wave and solar energy.
The past two years, the UTSremotelabs group has also run or collaborated on some 34 events such as:
- industry events for the Industry Partnering Unit (IPU)
- UTS open days
- Discovery Days for UTS: Engineering and Information Technology
- Hands on Days for Women in Engineering
- principal forums for the UTS Equity and Diversity Unit, and
- roadshow presentations on remote laboratories for other universities and industry groups.