Get trained by Australia’s leading AI and data science specialists. Learn the skills, tools and techniques to succeed in a demanding industry.
Become a data scientist
Register for our free information webinar on:
June 3 at 12:30pm
Register for our 24 week part-time program on:
23 June 2020
Register for our 12 week full-time program on:
22 June 2020
Become industry ready in 12 weeks (full time) or 24 weeks (part time).
A collaboration between the UTS and the Institute of Data, this industry-focused training program is designed to transform and accelerate the careers of Australia’s best data science and AI professionals. You will benefit from the following features:
- Flexible, interest-free financing options
- A university learning experience
- Full-time accelerated learning
- In-class practical training
- A collaborative learning environment
- Industry-focused curriculum
- Job placement support through our partners; register your interest on industry network
- Data science certification
- Professional membership and exclusive community benefits
What you will learn
- Practical skills in data science, data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence technologies in a student-focused, collaborative learning environment
- Technical and interpersonal skills - over 400 hours of vocational training on expertise in demand by employers
- Tools and techniques to continue learning as you progress in your career
- Mathematics and statistics
- The Python programming environment
- SQL & databases
- Application program interfaces (APIs)
- Exploratory data analysis (EDA)
- Introduction to machine learning/regression
- Supervised classification
- Clustering and unsupervised classification
- Classification and regression trees (cart)
- Ensemble methods
- Network analysis
- Text analytics
- Artificial intelligence
- Additional topics: determined by students and lead trainer
- Consultation and presentation training (ongoing)
- Data science practice (ongoing)
- Capstone project (ongoing)
You will graduate with
- Data science certification: awarded after 400 hours of vocational training has been completed. Demonstrates to employers that you have the necessary skills to work in the data industry
- A portfolio of project work: demonstrates your skills and aptitude for work in the field
- An assigned career services associate: helps you achieve career goals by providing continued one-on-one career coaching; online and offline professional brand and profile development; and interview preparation
Access to the UTS job outcomes program: helps you navigate the job market and accelerate the process of landing the next paid opportunity
Commonly asked questions
What are the prerequisites for enrolling?
There are no prerequisites, but before commencing class you will need to complete 20-40 hours of introductory online training modules (accessing content requires a small fee).
When does the next program begin and how long is it?
The next full-time program (remote study only) begins 22 June 2020, and goes for 12 weeks- and the next part-time program (remote study only) begins 23 June 2020 and goes for 14 weeks.
Do I need to be a permanent resident or Australian citizen to enrol in this program?
No, you are not required to be a permanent resident or Australian citizen to enrol.
How do I enrol?
The first step is to schedule a call with a course advisor, who will take you through the enrolment and payment process.
Will I need to bring my own laptop to class and will I need to purchase any software?
Yes, you will be required bring your laptop to class, but you will not need to purchase any software. All the software required is open source.
What if I get a job offer during the 12 weeks?
We can change your enrolment from full time (12 weeks) to part time (20 weeks). This will result in changes to your finance plan; refer to the part-time program guidelines for more information.
Is this course accredited/what qualification will I receive?
As this is a non-award program, it is not accredited. On completion of the program, you will become a certified AI and data science professional. You will receive data science certification and a certificate of completion from the University of Technology Sydney.
What kinds of roles will I be qualified to apply for once completing the course?
You will be able to work in any entry to mid-level data science role, including: data scientist, data analyst, data engineer, data science/analytics consultant, statistician, or a hybrid data-driven role utilising your existing domain knowledge and your new data skillset.