Madiha is currently doing doctoral research at the School of Information, Systems and Modelling at the University of Technology Sydney (Australia). Her research domain is “Integrating Mental and Computer Simulation models; Reconstructing Mental models through a guided simulation.”
Reaching back to her graduation days, she has completed her bachelor’s studies from the University of Sargodha, Pakistan in Information Technology. The curriculum at the University of Sargodha exposed her to the entire gamut of computer science and Information technology courses thus laying a strong foundation for both her Hardware and Software Fundamentals. Proactive in her approach to learning, she has also completed the certified Fundamentals of Android Programming.
Apart from the projects undertaken in university, she has taken up various training and internships to get practical exposure of the software industry. She has also done a project titled "News Aggregator” as her final University dissertation, in which she developed an android application that improves the user experience of consuming the news on the mobile phone. This app aggregates news related to topics of users’ interests from the web, summarizes them and makes it easy to share it with other people. This android app brought her distinction in Software Expo in Pakistan.
Having acquired a solid foundation in the field of computer science and her experience in software industry, lead her to the opportunity of postgraduate studies in the form of Master’s in Computer Science from Coventry University United Kingdom, where she developed an android application for her research project titled “Emotion recognition from Speech in Robotic agent”. The proposed system aimed at the successful identification of emotional states like joy, anger, sadness and neutral from the speech.
Her research was also accepted for publication in 2019 IEEE/SICE International Symposium on System Integration conference and she managed to complete her degree with Distinction from Coventry University in January 2018.
Pursuing her goals, she started a Ph.D. where she is working on “Eliciting, formalising, and debiasing mental models through an online tool for serious discussions ”.
She believes that her motivation, keenness, skills, and aptitude will provide the indispensable elements to ensure a successful graduate career at the University of Technology Sydney.
- Simulation Modelling and Analysis
- Interactive Simulation and Intelligent Systems
- Sentiment analysis and opinion mining
- Socio-environmental systems for sustainable development
- System modelling of behaviour change
- Anjum, M., (2019). Emotion recognition from speech for an interactive robot agent. In IEEE/SICE International Symposium on System Integration (SII). Paris, France, January 14-16, 2019. IEEE: IEEE Xplorer. 364-368.
- Anjum, M, Voinov, A, Castilla Rho, J & Pileggi, SF 2019, 'Understanding mental models through a moderated framework for serious discussion', 23rd International Congress on Modelling and Simulation, Canberra.