There are lots of reasons to study the BIT – here are just a few.
A four-year degree in three
The program covers some of the same material as the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Diploma in Information Technology Professional Practice, but emphasises a combination of technical and management capabilities in preparation for senior roles. As well as discipline-specific course content, you’ll also build a range of soft skills that are a must in every workplace – think communication, time management, and the ability to prioritise your workload. The best bit? It’s a condensed degree, which means you’ll gain all the benefits of a four-year degree in only three years of study.
Scholarship support while you study
As a BIT student, you’ll receive an industry-sponsored co-operative scholarship valued at around $16,500 a year (that’s a total of about $49,500 over the life of the degree). It’s designed to help ease the financial pressures that come with being a student – which means you can focus on the business of being a student. Planning to pursue further study? We’ve got scholarships for that as well.
Getting work-ready in the workplace
Need real-world experience? Get it in the real world. As a BIT student, you’ll complete two six-month industry placements with our sponsoring organisations, all of which are leading IT or IT-related companies. As well as building skills beyond what you learn in the classroom – like coming face-to-face with real-world industry challenges and technologies – you’ll also gain extensive workplace experience and professional networks that other grads won’t have.
The industry tick of approval
At UTS, we talk a lot about work-ready students and courses that respond to industry need. But it’s more than just talk: BIT course content is shaped by an industry steering committee that has a vested interest in the future of IT. They understand the challenges the sector is facing and the skills required to solve them, and they use this expertise to shape the BIT curriculum – so everything you study is relevant in the real world. Want more? The degree is recognised by the Australian Computer Society (opens external site) as well.
A degree that reflects your interests
We’re constantly updating our course content to make sure it stays relevant. One key change we’ve made recently is adding a range of IT sub-major options – think software engineering, interaction design and games design – alongside the business information systems subjects that have always been available. The upshot? You can tailor the course to suit your professional aspirations, building specific expertise to get ahead in your chosen career.
Like for like
The BIT is more than an IT degree – it’s an intensive, fast-paced and hugely challenging experience that’s been designed to push you to your intellectual limits. But you don’t have to do it alone: the degree boasts a series of social, professional and alumni events – and networks! – to keep you well connected. You’ll make friends for life, meet previous grads who are making waves in the profession, and get to know a range of industry contacts who could ignite your future career.
The proof? It’s in the numbers
The BIT boasts an employment track record of 100% - proof that what we’re doing is working. In fact, up to 80 per cent of BIT students take on graduate role with one of our sponsoring organisations. The remaining 20 per cent find employment too, because they’ve got a great reputation across the broader IT sector. As well as excellent job prospects, our graduates also report higher-than-average starting salaries and great opportunities for career progression.