Victoria's fisheries and aquaculture: economic and social contributions
How the Victorian fishing and aquaculture industries contribute to the wellbeing of regional communities, and to Victoria overall.
Victoria has had a professional seafood industry for over 170 years. It’s small relative to those of other Australian states but it’s highly diverse, with a wide variety of fishing and farming methods and target species.
Until this study, there was little data on the economic and social contributions of professional fisheries and aquaculture in Victoria. Existing data calculated only the gross value of production, the number of licence owners, the number of seafood business owners or professional fisheries and aquaculture employees. There was no reporting of the broader ‘multiplier’ economic effects or the social and cultural benefits of having a seafood industry in Victoria.
About the study
This research, conducted by the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), for the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation, investigated how the Victorian fishing and aquaculture industries contribute to the wellbeing of regional communities, and to Victoria overall. This summary presents an overview of the key findings. The study found that this sector contributes to regional community wellbeing in five main ways:
- economic diversity and resilience
- food supply
- tourism and recreation
- environmental health
- social fabric
The project explored these contributions over two years and involved economic surveys of the fishing and aquaculture industries; in-depth interviews, workshops and surveys in regional communities; a large phone survey of the Victorian public; and surveys of tourism, hospitality and other businesses in seafood supply chains.
The research also explored challenges and opportunities for these industries.
- Full report (PDF, 6MB)
- Summary factsheet: all Victoria wild-catch fishing and aquaculture (PDF, 520kB)
- Summary factsheet: fishing Far East Victoria (PDF, 932kB)
- Summary factsheet: fishing Far West Victoria (PDF, 930kB)
- Summary factsheet: fishing Near East Victoria (PDF, 718kB)
- Summary factsheet: fishing Near West Victoria (PDF, 878kB)
- Appendix 1: Further economic details (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Appendix 2: WRI regional input output analysis (PDF, 693kB)
- Flyer with infographic: all Victoria wild-catch fishing and aquaculture
- Flyer with infographic: fishing Far East Victoria
- Flyer with infographic: fishing Near East Victoria
- Flyer with infographic: fishing Far West Victoria
- Flyer with infographic: fishing Near West Victoria