Assessing the Governance of Tuna Fisheries for Community Wellbeing
Case studies from Indonesia and Solomon Islands
The key question addressed in this research project is how the governance of fisheries affects the wellbeing of coastal communities, which we have addressed through conducting case studies of 4 tuna fisheries in Indonesia and Solomon Islands. The aim of the research is to contribute to the development of a methodology for structured and evidence-based decision-making for fisheries policies and projects intending to benefit coastal communities.
In developing methods to support these policies, we include consideration of the potential benefits and risks associated with policy changes and projects, who derives those benefits or is exposed to the risks, and to what extent intended benefits are in fact realised over time. These are not usually assessed or monitored in fisheries, in relation to social and economic outcomes in communities.
The reports and policy briefs below include key findings and case studies on wellbeing and governance in tuna fisheries. Based on these we have developed a framework for assessing the potential impacts of changes in fisheries policy on the wellbeing of communities who rely on fisheries for livelihoods and food.
A summary report, two policy briefs, and the full report are available for download below. The summary report and policy briefs are available in Bahasa Indonesia, as well as English.
Summary Report/Laporan Ringkasan
- Summary Report - Assessing tuna fisheries governance for community wellbeing: case studies from Indonesia and Solomon Islands (English, 3.4 MB)
- Laporan Ringkasan - Menilai tata kelola perikanan tuna untuk kesejahteraan masyarakat: studi kasus dari Indonesia dan Kepulauan Solomon (Bahasa, 771 KB)
Policy briefs/Ringkasan Kebijakan
- Policy Brief - Assessing tuna fisheries for community wellbeing (English, 428 KB)
- Ringkasan Kebijakan - Menilai perikanan tuna untuk kesejahteraan masyarakat (Bahasa, 420 KB)
- Policy Brief - Community wellbeing and FAD-based tuna fisheries in Eastern Indonesia (English, 510 KB)
- Ringkasan Kebijakan - Kesejahteraan masyarakat dan perikanan tuna berbasis rumpon di Indonesia Timur (Bahasa, 511 KB)
- Full Report - Assessing tuna fisheries governance for community wellbeing: case studies from Indonesia and Solomon Islands (English, 7.3 MB)
Ph: 02 9514 1579