Getting ready for a global career? Immerse yourself in the study of language and culture before you go.
The Diploma in Languages is a concurrent degree that can be taken alongside any undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program. Engage with the in-depth study of your chosen culture, and choose from six language options, no matter what level of proficiency you’re at:
Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese or Spanish
Note: The Diploma is available to domestic (undergraduate and postgraduate) students only. It must be taken concurrently with another coursework program — it is not a standalone degree.
You’ll study one Diploma in Languages subject per session in addition to your professional degree subjects. If you’re a full-time student, this will increase your study load from the standard 24cp full-time load to 32cp.
Optional overseas study opportunities may also be available. See International Intensive Electives for more info.
Language and Culture subjects (48cp)
The Diploma is comprised of six Language and Culture subjects in your chosen major. Subjects are offered at a range of levels, from beginner to advanced, and focus on the four macro language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
The Diploma in Languages will add international perspectives and skills to your professional degree and prepare you for globalised work opportunities. Career options are generally based on the professional component of your course. However, Diploma graduates also develop a range of attributes, including:
- oral and written communication skills in at least one language other than English
- the capacity to operate appropriately in intercultural professional contexts
- a broad and coherent understanding of the historical, political, cultural, social and economic situations of countries and societies where their language of study is spoken
- cosmopolitan openness, with an awareness of, and commitment to, ethical practices.
Students applying for a Spring intake must have prior knowledge of the language they wish to study. Students with no prior knowledge can apply for an Autumn intake.
- Diploma in Languages FAQs
- UTS Handbook entry: Diploma in Languages
- UTS local students need to apply via MyStudentAdmin once they have enrolled at UTS. The course code is C20059.
For more information contact the UTS Student Centre.