Dr Wei Liu
Dr Wei Liu is a Data Science Research Program Leader and a Lecturer at the Advanced Analytics Institute, Faculty of Engineering and IT, the University of Technology Sydney (UTS). Before joining UTS, he was a Data Mining Research Fellow at the University of Melbourne, and then an Industry-focused Machine Learning Researcher and Project Manager working in the transportation industry at National ICT Australia (NICTA). He obtained his PhD degree in Data Mining Research from the University of Sydney (USYD).
His research outputs are mostly published in journals and conferences that are ranked at A* and A (i.e., top-prestige) by ARC ERA 2010 ranking and by Core academic ranking. He has received 3 Best Paper Awards.
Dr Liu is interested in industry-driven data analytics research that makes real-world impact. He has led a number of significant research projects in partnership with government agencies and industrial organisations, spanning Internet Security, Insurance, Capital Market, Transportation, and Infrastructure sectors. He has developed cutting-edge data mining methods and software tools for the transport industry, which accurately identify causes of road incidents from dynamic traffic networks. He has also designed advanced predictive analysis models for the problems of rare event prediction, fraud/intrusion detection, and spam filtering with time-evolving data distributions, which are validated and applied in different industrial organisations. Details of some of his research projects are in the below:
• "Analytics Model to Support Strategic Planning in a Regulatory Environment", industry partner: NSW Fair Trading; April - July 2015.
• "Transport Data Science and Advanced Analytics", industry partner: National ICT Australia; July 2015 – June 2017.
• “Traffic Watch for Transport Control Service”, industry partner: Transport Management Centre; May 2013 – June 2014.
• “Congestion Propagation and Hotspot Detection in Sydney CBD”, industry partner: NSW RMS; Aug – Dec 2013.
• “Data Fusion Technologies for Comprehensive Transport Data Analysis in Melbourne”, industry partner: VicRoads; Jun – Sep 2013.
• “Time of Arrival Estimations using HD Vehicle Trajectories”, industry partner: Tomtom. Jan 2013 – March 2013.
• “Early Detection of Road Traffic Incidents using Social Media”, industry partner: the Transport Management Centre; Oct – Dec 2012.
• “Causal Inference for Sequential Traffic Congestion", industry partner: Microsoft Research Asia; Nov 2010 – Mar 2011.
• “Abnormal Claim Detection from Worker’s Compensations”, industry partner: CGU Insurance; Mar 2010 – Jun 2011.
• “Data Integration for Cross-Market Capital Trading Systems”, industry partner: the SMARST Group (now purchased by Nasdaq), Jun 2008 – Dec 2009.
Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Main Research Interests:
- Graph mining, dynamic network analysis, tensor factorization
- Causal inference, Granger causality
- Game theoretical modeling, adversarial learning
- Data imbalance, cost-sensitive learning
- Anomaly (outlier) detection
Competitive PhD scholarships are available for prospective local and international research students.
View/Download from: UTS OPUS